Treatment of hemorrhoids after surgery
Some survivors of the operation say that they themselves underwent surgery and anesthesia more easily than the subsequent recovery period. Gradual recovery and the encounter with new difficulties (albeit temporary), according to the recognition of many patients, literally knocked them out of the rut.
In fact, each patient who is going to have this or that operation must clearly understand what awaits him. He should be ready for work: which means that you should stop feeling sorry for yourself, remove the vagaries and even tantrums (sometimes it happens), tune in to serious changes in your usual mode of life.
For example, everyone knows that virtually any operation involves a subsequent strict diet, but do everyone adhere to it? Rehabilitation after surgery for hemorrhoids is also quite serious, and it consists of several points.
Characterization of the postoperative period
A rare recovery period is complete without pain: it would seem that the cause of your suffering, hemorrhoidal nodes, has been removed, but the pain still has not gone away. This is understandable: a surgical instrument has invaded the integrity of the tissues of your body.
The first days are especially difficult. After hemorrhoid surgery, many patients even think that in vain they started all this, that suffering only intensified. Such thoughts are understandable, but they disappear in just a couple of days - the recovery process is in full swing, if you follow medical recommendations.
This can be compared with childbirth: the process itself causes conflicting feelings and the woman in labor says she will never do this again, but everything is forgotten very quickly. So is the postoperative period - as the wounds are healed, the patient feels better and begins to feel that he has acquired with the operation.
- After a closed operation, rehabilitation will take about three weeks, after an open operation - about five (if no complications are recorded),
- All this time, a person remains unworkable, because he is entitled to a sick leave,
- Relapses are possible - on average after 6-12 years, but if the patient literally provokes a relapse, it can happen more often,
- The entire recovery process, the patient must strictly follow medical recommendations, apply ointments and suppositories, go to the procedures (if indicated).
Each patient takes this path to full recovery individually: someone in a week feels rather well, and in the third week he is ready to start work. And after five weeks, someone wants to relax, and every day he is faced with echoes of intervention.
They can occur immediately after surgery, and later. You should not tune in to the fact that complications will certainly be: in most cases, the patient himself “organizes” them, i.e. in your power to avoid them.
The most common complications:
- Bleeding. Usually they are caused by trauma to the rectum by stony feces in the place where the stitches are laid. Sometimes bleeding occurs due to insufficiently cauterized during the operation of the vessel with the formation of a thin crust. This crust disappears during the first evacuation of feces. If such complications are fixed, then the doctor will use the anoscope to examine the rectum, the consequences can be eliminated by re-stitching the injured vessel or inserting a swab soaked in adrenaline,
- Fistulas. These are extremely rare postoperative complications, but it is worth mentioning about them. They are formed due to the capture of muscle structures in the process of suturing wounds and the parallel attachment of pathogenic flora.Therapy can be either conservative or surgical,
- Anus stricture. This is the name of the narrowing of this part of the body after Milligan-Morgan surgery due to illiterate seams. The pathology is eliminated with the help of special expanders, but sometimes the problem is solved only by plastic surgery,
- Suppuration. Microbes can get into the postoperative suture. In this situation, the doctor may prescribe antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs to the patient. With running suppuration, the wound is opened and washed,
- Psychogenic constipation. It is explained by a fear of pain, which, of course, is possible with the first stool after surgery. Laxatives are being treated, a special diet is prescribed to soften the stool. Sometimes doctors prescribe nitroglycerin ointment to the patient to relax the sphincter.
The postoperative period of hemorrhoids is the time when the patient’s body is weakened. That is, these days and weeks, it is theoretically easy for a patient to catch a virus, a cold and other undesirable ailments.
How much hemorrhoids heal after surgery
The duration of a full recovery after removal of hemorrhoids is directly dependent on the type and amount of surgery.
In the early stages of the development of the pathological process, various minimally invasive surgical techniques are often used. They are less traumatic, performed on an outpatient basis, without the use of a scalpel. Recovery with such treatment, for example, after ligation of hemorrhoids, occurs in 3-4 days.
With the advanced form of hemorrhoids, hemorrhoids are excised surgically with a scalpel in the form of an open or closed hemorrhoidectomy. Recovery from complex hemorrhoidectomy can be 5-6 weeks. Despite the long duration of rehabilitation after surgery of this type, the risk of various relapses is minimized.
How long does it take: recovery time
Modern techniques can remove hemorrhoidal nodes even on an outpatient basis. It takes very little time.
Rehabilitation and recovery after hemorrhoid surgery depends on the type of intervention and the severity of the disease.
After traditional surgery, the patient is in the hospital for another two weeks. Minimally invasive intervention is less traumatic, therefore, after the procedure, the patient is observed for two to three hours and released home. A person can start his usual business the next day, avoiding physical exertion.
|Type of surgical intervention||Terms of treatment and recovery|
|Hemorrhoidectomy||The operation is performed under general or spinal anesthesia. It lasts from half an hour to an hour. The rehabilitation period can last up to one and a half months. Sometimes it is rather painful if accompanied by an inflammatory process. In order for the recovery period to go without problems, the patient is prescribed procedures in the form of baths with chamomile. Rectal suppositories with methyluracil (for example, Natalsid) are also useful. Analgesics are used for pain relief (most often Diclofenac tablets).|
|Latex Ligation||After an operation that does not require anesthesia and lasts no more than 20 minutes, the patient is monitored for another hour and released home. Within a week, a hemorrhoid site disappears along with the latex ring. Until he falls off, the patient may experience a feeling of pain and the presence of a foreign body in the anus. Pain is relieved by analgesics.|
|Sclerotherapy||The operation takes only a few minutes, during which no more than three nodes are removed. The remaining hemorrhoids can be treated only after 5 - 7 days.|
The procedure is performed by introducing a sclerosing drug into the hemorrhoid, after which elastic compression is applied to the treatment site.The patient is monitored for an hour, then can go home. There is no recovery period after sclerotherapy. But during the week it is recommended to follow a diet to avoid constipation, and to refrain from heavy physical exertion.
|Laser coagulation||Remove hemorrhoidal nodes with a laser at any stage of the disease. After a few hours, the patient can safely go home. The recovery period is very short. If you follow the simple recommendations of a doctor, the patient can almost immediately return to a normal lifestyle.|
|Desterterization of hemorrhoids||Within 15 to 30 minutes, the arteries that feed the pathological nodes are ligated. The patient is monitored in a hospital for 1 day, after which he goes home and leads a normal lifestyle.|
After surgery, patients return to their usual work after about three weeks, provided there are no complications. Patients are in the hospital under the supervision of a doctor for about 10 days. A further recovery period takes place at home.
If necessary, you can draw up a sick leave. Relapse after surgery occurs in 13-15% of patients.
How many are in the hospital
After surgery, patients are in the hospital for up to three weeks. At the same time, sick people are prescribed sick leave.
Minimally invasive methods for removing hemorrhoids can reduce the rehabilitation period from 1 to 3 days. In the absence of complications, the patient can return to normal life after this time.
Recovery after removal of hemorrhoids
Recovery after surgery in the treatment of hemorrhoids is faster and easier, subject to all doctor's prescriptions. The indicated period includes the following areas:
- drug treatment
- proper nutrition
- hygiene procedures
- sufficient physical activity.
After any method of removing hemorrhoids, all measures should be taken to normalize the stool, without which complete recovery is impossible. The process of defecation should occur regularly, without effort and stress. The soft consistency of the stool is achieved through diet, proper water regimen and exercise.
To avoid problems with hemorrhoids in the future, it is necessary to lead a healthy lifestyle with the complete exclusion of bad habits.
What to do after surgery: rehabilitation
About 3 days after the surgery to remove hemorrhoids, the patient begins the rehabilitation period. All doctor's recommendations must be followed.
First of all, it is necessary to remove the swelling at the site of the remote nodes. To do this, you will have to do lotions with a weak solution of potassium permanganate.
To prevent pulmonary complications, bed rest should be avoided. Postoperative patients require hyperventilation of the lungs. To do this, move more and do breathing exercises. After discharge from the hospital, patients are advised to engage in therapeutic exercises or swimming.
The rehabilitation period is a time when it is especially necessary to monitor the stool, avoiding diarrhea and constipation. You should also abandon alcohol and heavy physical exertion.
Doctors advise patients to undergo surgery to adhere to certain rules regarding various aspects of life:
|What to look for||General recommendations|
|Nutrition (diet)||The first day after surgery is the time of fasting, when you need to refrain from going to the toilet. But you can drink water. Drinking should be saturated over the next few days. Only soft foods are recommended for food. For example, bananas, boiled cereals, mashed potatoes, etc., gradually moving to a normal diet. In the future, in order to avoid constipation, you need to accustom yourself to eat a large amount of fiber.It is found in fruits and vegetables. It is useful to drink at least one and a half liters of water per day. Spicy foods and alcohol are contraindicated.|
To better promote feces in the intestines, experts advise using bran. They need to be steamed with boiling water and add only one spoon to different dishes.
|Baths||During the rehabilitation period, spasms and pains in the rectum can sometimes disturb. To remove them, you can use warm baths with plain water or infusion of a string, chamomile, celandine.|
Baths lasting up to 15 minutes with a temperature of about 45 ° C help to heal postoperative wounds. For procedures, you can use a decoction of calendula or chamomile (100 ml of decoction in 50 liters of water) or a weak solution of potassium permanganate.
|Candles, tablets, ointments||After each bath, it is advised to make ointment dressings with Solcoseryl, Actovegin, Methyluracil ointment, Levomekol or Vishnevsky ointment. For this, gauze is rolled up in 4-6 layers. But you should not use cotton or paper to cover the bandage.|
In the recovery period after surgery, patients are prescribed rectal suppositories with methyluracil, calendula or sea buckthorn. Also, postoperative patients are shown taking phlebotonics in tablets, which help strengthen blood vessels.
|Restroom||Many patients after surgery avoid going to the toilet, experiencing fear of pain and bleeding at the time of defecation. To solve this problem, they are prescribed laxatives and painkillers or ointments. For example, Nitroglycerin ointment, EMLA. To prevent constipation, you should adhere to a diet recommended by your doctor.|
After the operation to remove hemorrhoids, it is important to strictly observe the rules of hygiene, implying mandatory water procedures for the anus after each act of emptying.
You should wash yourself with hemorrhoids with cool water or a specially prepared decoction of medicinal herbs that contribute to the rapid healing of surgical wounds.
Experts recommend treating the anal area with an antiseptic solution of furacilin when going to the toilet.
Experts recommend treating the anal area with antiseptic solutions of rivanol or furatsilina when going to the toilet.
During rehabilitation, physical activity should be feasible and strictly dosed. The first time after the operation, it is necessary to observe bed rest, gradually introducing simple exercises: turning over, breathing exercises, sipping, etc. You need to try to get up on the second day, avoiding the sitting position.
After about 2 weeks, you can perform exercises of therapeutic gymnastics from a standing position, go in for walking. It is necessary to completely eliminate lifting weights, power loads.
Sitting after surgery is allowed for a week, focusing on well-being.
In complicated cases, when the pain does not go away for a long time, with tension, blood flows from the anus, the doctor does not allow the patient to sit down for 3-4 weeks, until the condition normalizes.
Treatment of hemorrhoids after surgery
After operated hemorrhoids, drug therapy should contribute to:
- relieve pain and inflammation,
- getting rid of anal itching,
- facilitating the bowel movement
- rapid tissue regeneration.
It relieves inflammation of the intestines and anorectal zone Relief.
Treatment should be comprehensive, combining general and local preparations. The pain syndrome is relieved by injections with analgesics, suppositories with anestezol, novocaine, etc. Pentalgin, Nise, Diclofenac painkillers may be prescribed. An ice pack placed on a sore spot will be effective.
Well-relieved inflammation of the intestine and anorectal zone such drugs as Relif, Anuzol, Papeverin, etc.Rectal suppositories accelerate the regeneration processes after surgery Ultraproct, Methyluracil, Posterisan.
The timely conduct of therapy during surgical intervention is necessary to prevent undesirable consequences.
In addition to the described treatment, traditional medicine can be used.
In addition to the described treatment, traditional medicine can be used. The effectiveness of sedentary baths with medicinal plants (nettle, chamomile, marigolds, etc.) has been proven by time.
Nutrition after removal of hemorrhoids
A properly selected diet during the rehabilitation period will reduce the duration of recovery. When removing hemorrhoids, the diet should follow the recommendations of specialists, including:
- the appointment of complete fasting in the first day after the operation,
- the creation of the desired consistency of the stool with the use of permitted foods and enough water,
- avoid constipation damaging the intestinal membrane,
- exclusion of gas generating products,
- Compliance with diet
- proper food handling.
A properly selected diet during the rehabilitation period will reduce the duration of recovery.
Heals hemorrhoids faster, if you strictly adhere to a special diet, including permitted foods:
- various cereal cereals cooked in water,
- dairy products (kefir, fermented baked milk, varenets),
- soups on vegetable broth,
- boiled lean meat or fish,
- soft-boiled eggs
- decoctions of medicinal herbs,
- fruits - apples, plums, bananas,
- vegetables - tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers.
Heals hemorrhoids faster, if you strictly adhere to special nutrition, including dairy products.
It is necessary to make a diet with a minimum amount of toxins. It is important to adhere to the correct daily drinking regimen, including at least 2 liters of clean water.
Complications after surgery to remove hemorrhoids are rare, but still there are. They can happen both in the first days after surgery, and after some time.
|Constipation||Complications can occur in the form of difficulty defecation and even the absolute impossibility of emptying. To eliminate the problem, laxatives are prescribed, which are a temporary measure that does not affect the cause of its occurrence. At this time, you need to adhere to a diet.|
|Pain||Pain syndrome most often occurs after the end of anesthesia. Pain is sometimes so strong that the patient needs narcotic painkillers. The problem usually goes away a couple of days after the operation.|
If pain occurs during bowel movements, regular pain medications and ice packs will help.
If after ligation of the hemorrhoidal nodes the pain does not go away even after the use of drugs, then repeated anoscopy is performed with the removal of the superimposed ligature.
|Bleeding||The complication is most often the result of patient non-compliance with the diet when fecal injury of postoperative wounds occurs.|
Depending on the severity of the complication, the patient is given a hemostatic swab or sponge. Laxatives are prescribed, and in some cases, the case may result in a second operation.
|Anal fissures||Cracks are usually treated with conservative methods. In some cases, surgery is required.|
To avoid this complication, it is necessary to care for the wound:
|Fistula||A few months after a hemorrhoidectomy, fistulas may occur. This happens due to the capture of muscle fibers during suturing wounds and attaching an infection. As a result, an inflammatory process develops and additional passages in the rectum form. Usually fistulas are treated with conservative methods. In rare cases, additional surgery is required.|
|Inflammation and suppuration||Postoperative wounds develop inflammation and suppuration due to bacteria that live in the rectum. To eliminate the problem, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial agents are prescribed. If necessary, abscesses are opened.|
|Rectal prolapse||Due to a malfunction of the muscle and nerve endings, sometimes after surgery a complication develops in the form of prolapse of the rectum. The problem is eliminated by conservative or surgical methods.|
The development of hemorrhoids can be prevented if you follow simple rules:
- frequent warm baths improve blood microcirculation,
- after each bowel movement you need to wash yourself with cool water or use multilayer toilet paper,
- avoid constipation and diarrhea, which lead to the formation of anal fissures,
- try to establish a daily chair without straining,
- Avoid hypothermia
- exclude spicy foods and alcohol from the daily menu,
- Do not neglect gymnastics (especially for people who lead a sedentary lifestyle).
If there are any symptoms of hemorrhoids after the operation, then you should immediately contact the proctologist who prescribed the treatment.
CONTRAINDICATIONS ARE AVAILABLE
CONSULTING YOUR DOCTOR NEEDED
In order to permanently maintain a positive result of the operation to eliminate hemorrhoids and exclude relapses of the disease, it is necessary to completely remove some foods from the diet. These include:
- fatty meats and fish,
- spicy, smoked, salty dishes,
- vegetables and fruits that cause fermentation and flatulence: cabbage, legumes, grapes, etc.,
- sauces and marinades,
- sparkling water.
To permanently maintain a positive result of the operation to eliminate hemorrhoids and to exclude relapses of the disease, it is necessary to completely remove sweets from the diet.
Nutritional restrictions should be observed throughout life to exclude relapses.
General rules for the postoperative period
The recovery plan is always selected by the doctor. If everything goes according to plan, then the patient quickly returns to normal life, and recalls the operation as a planned event, not associated with special torment.
General principles of recovery:
- In the hospital, the patient is at least 5 days under the constant supervision of physicians,
- On the first day, he doesn’t eat anything (only drinks), so that there is no stool and the damage to the joints associated with it,
- Strict bed rest, the patient must observe at least a week,
- Dressings of the operated area should be regular and systematic, using those ointments and funds prescribed by the attending physician,
- After discharge, you need about 2 weeks to be at home treatment (the sick leave is extended) with the implementation of the same recommendations,
- Hiking is possible only after discharge from the hospital and in moderate mode,
- Under no circumstances can weights be lifted! Physical activity is unacceptable for several months after surgery,
- Postpone sports for at least 3 months, strength training - at least for six months,
- Use special pillows at the workplace (for more details on whether you need them specifically and where to get them, the proctologist will tell),
- The ban is imposed on rest in high temperatures (bath and sauna, hot resort),
- The special diet and diet are not even disputed - with this you need to be fundamentally strict, not to give yourself indulgences,
- Carefully monitor the hygiene of the operated area. You can not experiment with hygiene products - do not introduce anything new (only allergies in the place of the healing wound were not enough for you). Discard completely from toilet paper - only wet wipes, or better just thorough washing with cool water after each emptying,
- You should not return to sexual life earlier than 3-5 weeks after the operation (individual term).
The list seems impressive, but there is actually nothing impossible or very difficult here - a matter of habit and self-discipline.
Diet in rehabilitation after removal of hemorrhoids
The food that you choose largely stacks the puzzles of your health. If you don’t know why you were diagnosed with hemorrhoids, then perhaps the wrong eating behavior provoked the disease. Disorders in the work of the digestive tract caused constipation, which, as you know, affect the development of hemorrhoidal disease.
The postoperative period of hemorrhoids is a new approach to nutrition, associated with many limitations.
Basic rules in nutrition:
- Food should be taken 5-6 times a day in small portions,
- Overeating is strictly prohibited,
- Cook only steamed dishes, cook, stew or bake - you can’t fry,
- Most of the diet should be plant foods,
- In the menu every day should be fiber, normalizing peristalsis,
- Include fish and meat dishes in the diet, but give preference to low-fat varieties,
- Every day, include olive oil on the menu (but not for frying),
- Drink plenty of water, at least 2 liters per day.
As already mentioned, the first day after the operation is impossible at all. You should not particularly reflect on this matter - perhaps you will not feel an acute desire to have a bite. The body underwent serious intervention, anesthesia, it is weakened and does not always send signals of hunger. You can drink water and it really saves. You have to endure only one day.
On the second day, you slowly start to eat, but sparing food is, first of all, grated cereals, low-fat broths, as well as baked fruits and vegetables.
What you can’t eat after the operation
When the patient asks how to treat hemorrhoids after surgery, the doctor often answers him corny - and what did you do wrong? Recovery is systematic, but with a tendency to improve results. If the farther the worse, you are really doing something wrong. Perhaps (the most common case) is breaking the diet.
In the recovery period, the following are prohibited:
- Preservation, pickles and marinades,
- Fried, smoked and dried
- Fast foods, convenience foods, sausages,
- Sweets, pastries, ice cream,
- Pearl barley and rice porridge,
- Black wheat bread,
- Fatty meats and fish,
- Soda and sweet drinks,
- Broths on fatty meats and soups on them,
How much to follow a diet - at least two months. During this time, you will probably get used to proper nutrition, and it will become the norm for you.
Hygiene after surgery
This issue is important no less than diet. Some new complex manipulations are not expected, but with what is, you need to be strict - not limited to half measures. You need to wash every morning and every evening: a little warm water, neutral (baby soap). After each bowel movement, wash yourself with slightly cool water.
Dry the skin around the anus only with baby wet wipes or a soft cotton cloth (you will have to forget about toilet paper, as this is a traumatic factor). All movements should be slow and accurate, care - delicate.
The first stool after hemorrhoid surgery can be painful and even with a little bleeding. The patient is scared that he damaged the seams, often after the first chair he avoids going to the toilet.
Sex life after surgery
Do not be shy to ask a doctor about this. In the end, the question lies in the aspect of personal hygiene measures. Sexual contact is possible no earlier than 3-4 weeks after the intervention. If you allow it earlier, then intense movements, friction, and contractions of the pelvic organs can lead to wound injury and bleeding.
Wait for the complete healing of the sutures and carefully proceed to the resumption of intimate life.
Needless to say, sex should only be vaginal. Anal sex can provoke a relapse of hemorrhoids. Do not listen simply to the blasphemous stories that anal sex is the prevention of many diseases of the rectum.
The significance of this lesson is not simply exaggerated, but, as proctologists themselves say, it was invented for some dubious persuasive reasons.
Recovery from mini-operations
Minimally invasive techniques are called mini-operations, which today are preferred by both doctors and patients. Yes, they are not possible at all stages, not all cases are susceptible to such treatment, but if there is an alternative, then one day surgery cannot be compared with the same hemorrhoidectomy.
Minimally invasive techniques are procedures that are usually performed on an outpatient basis. Even if the mini-operation is carried out in a hospital, the patient leaves him on the day of the intervention (in rare cases, the next day). The procedure is carried out under local anesthesia, sometimes without pain relief at all.
What is the undoubted advantage of such techniques is the quick and easy recovery. The patient starts work in 1-2 days, and sometimes the day after the mini-operation. He must eat right (the diet will be the same), he must follow all hygienic procedures, but there will probably not be such a high soreness that patients experience after hemorrhoidectomy.
If, after a classical operation, the patient is prescribed ointments and suppositories to heal the wounds, which he has been using for several weeks, drug recovery therapy after minimally invasive intervention will be short.
Complications are also few - sometimes there is a small swelling after removal of hemorrhoids, sometimes discomfort, minor pain. All this is corrected by medications and the correct postoperative regimen.
The question of the rehabilitation period after you finally said goodbye to painful hemorrhoids is a matter of will and a reasonable approach. Someone prefers to cry and feel sorry for himself, while someone keeps himself in hand and thereby reaches the desired goal. Listen to the doctor, do not ignore any of his advice, respond to any negative points in a timely manner, and you can ensure your true recovery.
Possible complications in the postoperative period
When removing hemorrhoids operatively, rare complications and negative consequences are possible. These include:
- urinary retention caused by the use of epidural anesthesia,
- severe pain due to a large accumulation of nerve endings in the rectal canal,
- exit of the intestine from the anus when the sphincter malfunctions due to illiterate actions of the surgeon,
- penetration of infection into the wound with neglect of hygiene rules,
- narrowing of the anus due to improperly stitched seams.
Ekaterina, 37 years old, Moscow
Already a month has passed after the removal of hemorrhoidal nodes, but I feel unwell. Hemorrhoids were in a deeply neglected form. The operation was complicated. Despite the fact that she complied with all the recommendations of the doctors, the promised recovery did not come: pain, inflammation, bleeding during straining persist, sometimes pus is formed. Now I am engaged in the treatment of postoperative consequences.
Maxim, 48 years old, Sevastopol
Due to the long-term driving of the car, I formed small hemorrhoidal cones of the rectum, which became very inflamed when drinking beer and spicy meat. I turned to a specialist with my problem. Laser hemorrhoids were removed.It was possible to quickly recover after the operation and return to work.
How long does recovery after removal of hemorrhoids last?
The duration of rehabilitation after surgery for hemorrhoids directly depends on the type of surgical intervention, as well as the presence of complications.
Today, surgical treatment of hemorrhoids is carried out by two types of operations, namely:
- minimally invasive technique,
- classic operation to remove hemorrhoids.
Minimally Invasive Techniques
In minimally invasive operations, various substances and physical forces are used instead of a scalpel, which makes the treatment painless, less traumatic, and also reduces and facilitates rehabilitation after removal of hemorrhoids.
The most popular innovative techniques for controlling hemorrhoids are the following:
- destruction of hemorrhoidal nodes by low temperatures, or rather, liquid nitrogen (cryodestruction),
- sclerosis of hemorrhoids with special drugs (sclerotherapy),
- exposure to hemorrhoids with a laser beam or infrared rays (photocoagulation and laser coagulation),
- hauling hemorrhoid cones with latex rings,
- ligation of the vessels supplying the hemorrhoids cone and others.
Minimally invasive techniques are highly effective in the first to third stages of hemorrhoids, but with advanced cases they will not help. The rehabilitation period after such surgical interventions takes only 1-2 days and does not require any therapeutic measures or restrictions. Patients can lead a normal life on the second day after treatment.
The third and fourth stages of hemorrhoids and its consequences require more radical measures.
Most often, triggered hemorrhoids are an indication for the following operations:
- removal of hemorrhoids according to Milligan-Morgan (hemorrhoidectomy),
- pulling up hemorrhoids inside the rectal canal (Longo operation).
The above operations are carried out exclusively in a hospital after careful preparation of the patient and under general anesthesia and are traumatic. Among the shortcomings of the described techniques can be called a long recovery and frequent complications after hemorrhoid surgery.
The most difficult and prolonged postoperative period after hemorrhoidectomy, which takes from three to five weeks, sometimes longer.
Food and Drink List
- White cabbage,
- White bread,
- Butter baking
- spicy seasonings
- smoked meats
- concentrated broths
- fatty meats, fish and poultry,
- alcoholic drinks.
How to cook for a patient after surgical treatment of hemorrhoids?
Most of the daily diet should be composed of vegetables, fruits and cereals, and only a fifth of the dishes should consist of food of animal origin.
Dishes can only be prepared using gentle heat-treatment methods, including boiling, baking or steaming.
Vegetables are best eaten raw, but can also be baked.
What can and cannot be done after the treatment of hemorrhoids surgically?
Patients who underwent hemorrhoidectomy are discharged from the hospital on the fifth or seventh day after surgery.
The doctor will give the following recommendations to prescribed patients:
- bed rest for 14 days after surgery,
- control examination by the attending proctologist 14 days after surgery,
- on the fifth day after removal of the nodes walking on the ward is allowed, and after a few days - walking on the street, light gymnastics and exercise,
- 12 weeks after the operation, you can resume classes in the gym, but you need to exclude from the training program lifting weights, barbells and other heavy objects
- for three months after surgical treatment of hemorrhoids, you need to use an orthopedic pillow, especially if labor activity is associated with sitting in a chair,
- in the coming months, you can’t take a steam bath in the bathhouse and sauna, and the hot common bath is prohibited,
- the most sparing useful sport for operated hemorrhoids is swimming,
- You can resume sexual intercourse only 4 weeks after surgery.
Sick leave for patients undergoing hemorrhoidectomy is issued on average for 30 days.
Rehabilitation after surgery to remove hemorrhoids
For patients who underwent excision of hemorrhoidal nodes in the postoperative period, it is important to observe the hygiene of the anorectal region. Also, all operated patients are prescribed drugs aimed at stopping pain, preventing bleeding, accelerating tissue repair, and preventing bacterial complications and constipation.
The principles of hygiene of the anorectal zone in the postoperative period after removal of hemorrhoids
- washing with warm water and baby soap after each bowel movement,
- replacing the use of toilet paper with washes,
- after the hygienic toilet, the anus should not be wiped, but blotted with a soft paper towel,
- in the absence of the ability to wash after a bowel movement, you can use wet wipes with antibacterial action
Drug treatment of hemorrhoids in the postoperative period
Despite the fact that during the operation the hemorrhoid is removed, inflammation in the tissues of the anus remains. As a result, some time after surgical treatment of hemorrhoids, patients are worried about pain. Therefore, to facilitate the course of the postoperative period, the treating doctor can prescribe an anesthetic.
The drugs of choice in this case may be the following:
- tablets Nimesil, Voltaren, Nise, Ibuprofen and others,
- rectal suppositories Olestesin, Anuzol, Proctosedil, Ultraproct, Relief Advance, Procto-Glivenol and others,
- antihemorrhoidal ointments - Aurobin, Nifedipine, Relif Pro, Proctosan and others.
To accelerate the healing of a postoperative wound, candles with methyluracil, candles with sea buckthorn oil, candles with shark fat, candles Propolis DN and others are shown.
The postoperative period that begins immediately after you have undergone surgery to remove hemorrhoids, characterized by discomfort and unusual pain. These are typical companions that accompany patients after each surgical intervention, so do not be afraid of them.
However, on the third or even fourth day after removal of hemorrhoids, the patient begins to feel much better.
If you follow all the doctor’s recommendations for treatment after removing hemorrhoids, save strength, adhere to a diet and follow other instructions, then you can return to normal life a week after you lay down on the surgical table.
However, you should not think that on this all restrictions on diet and loads will be removed.
First of all, you will have to observe bed rest for at least the first two weeks. This is due to the fact that from an excessive load on the body an even more pronounced relapse of hemorrhoids can occur, thereby prompting your body to undergo a new, even more terrible disease.
Secondly, Do not forget that light physical activity is good for your body.. Even lying in bed, you can do the simplest exercises after hemorrhoid surgery, which are associated with raising arms or legs.
Do not be zealous, but increase the load weekly. Also, it can positively affect those patients who are overweight. The absence of extra pounds as a result of stress reduces the risk of hemorrhoids recurrence.
When you can sit after surgery to remove hemorrhoids, physical activity
Despite the fact that this operation is complicated, doctors insist on physical activity only a day after it. When can I sit down after hemorrhoid surgery?
So, already on the second day you will be offered to sit down on a chair. To begin with, you need to sit on several pillows, gradually daily cleaning one after another.
When doing the squat, you should not have sharp pain, but unpleasant sipping is a frequent companion after the operation to remove hemorrhoids.
Also, doctors ask their patients to adhere to the principle that it is better to lie or walk than to stand or sit.
Eliminate physical labor within one month after surgery, be wary of playing sports and loads that involve lifting more than 5 - 6 kg.
But if you decide to take up swimming, jogging, then doctors recommend that you start such exercises already in the third week of rehabilitation therapy.
Refrain from sexual intercourse for the first two weeks. But frequent long walks in the fresh air at a moderate pace is the best way to recover. The main thing is to try not to freeze, as the body that has recently undergone surgery is susceptible to various colds.
A hemorrhoid pillow is recommended to be used not only for those who are prone to this disease, but also undergoing surgery.
Since in the postoperative period you should not be allowed to exert pressure on the anus for a long time, you need a special anatomical shape of the pillow to sit comfortably on the chair, while not stressing your body.
Pillows after surgery for hemorrhoids may vary in their shape, composition and other parameters. You can choose the one that you think is most convenient.
Doctors may advise you to buy such a pillow, but it is not a complete way to get rid of pain after surgery to remove hemorrhoids and is not required to purchase.
We figured out when you can sit after a hemorrhoid surgery, now we will consider the question of what to do with hemorrhoids after surgery for its complete healing.
And also with minimally invasive procedures:
How long can the healing process take?
How much does the damaged area heal after hemorrhoid surgery? Recovery and treatment of hemorrhoids after an operation called hemorrhoidectomy lasts for one monthif a closed operation was carried out, and about two months if an open form was chosen.
If the patient has complications, then the treatment process after surgery for hemorrhoids can drag on indefinitely. However, if you feel that the healing process is taking place somewhat faster than it should, do not neglect the advice of your attending physician, but follow them carefully so that there is no relapse of hemorrhoids in the future.
How to treat hemorrhoids after surgery? For this your doctor may advise you to take sitz baths based on decoctions of herbs that have a beneficial effect on a disease such as hemorrhoids. These include sage, chamomile, calendula, and some other plants. Such procedures after hemorrhoid surgery bring a lot of benefits.
Doctors often recommend the use of various ointments, which contribute to the effective scarring of tissues.
What are the possible complications and how to deal with them?
The operation to remove hemorrhoids and the postoperative period are rightfully considered complex and, it is likely that the patient may begin complications.
This may be due to both the incorrect rehabilitation procedure after removal of hemorrhoids, and, in principle, to the non-acceptance by the body of interference in its work.
Therefore, after you are discharged from the hospital, you need to carefully listen to your well-being, monitor the discharge after surgery for hemorrhoids and other symptoms that may initially signal the presence of serious complications after removal of hemorrhoids.
The main signs that indicate the presence of complications after surgery for hemorrhoids will be the following factors:
- The first is painthat you will experience with each bowel movement. The presence of pain up to two weeks is considered the norm, but longer than this period - a sign of complications that require immediate examination by a specialist.
- Another symptom that should not leave you indifferent is an increase in temperature after the operation to remove hemorrhoids above 37.5 °.
Since the procedure for removing hemorrhoids is an operation, it is quite possible that the number of white blood cells in your blood will be exceeded, which will cause a slight increase in temperature after removal of hemorrhoids.
However, the increase in body temperature to 37 degrees is considered normal. If you feel, in addition to the temperature after the operation for hemorrhoids, chills, severe fatigue, periodic malaise and dizziness - this is a sign of an inflammatory process in the body. Another sign of the consequences after surgery to remove hemorrhoids is bleeding for two, three or more weeks are also not the norm.
If blood discharge after an operation to remove hemorrhoids does not accompany the act of defecation itself, but occurs spontaneously, that is, the wound does not heal after removal of the hemorrhoids, it is necessary to immediately consult a doctor.
Is worth with particular attention to the presence of consequences after removal of hemorrhoids by operation, and any of your delay can cause a recurrence of hemorrhoids.
Hemorrhoids after surgery - photo:
The length of recovery time after surgery to remove hemorrhoids depends on several factors:
- surgical procedures
- type of hemorrhoidal lesion (internal, external or combined),
- existing intestinal diseases,
- the immune system (chronic diseases slow down postoperative treatment and increase the risk of complications).
How long does postoperative recovery take? On average, rehabilitation after removal of hemorrhoids lasts from 2 weeks to a month and a half, and the further prognosis of the disease depends on how much the patient follows medical recommendations at this time.
IT'S IMPORTANT TO KNOW!
Folk remedies for recovery after surgery for hemorrhoids
With the permission of the attending doctor in the postoperative period, one and folk methods can be used, among which such as:
- the use of ice candles for pain in the anus,
- baths with decoctions and infusions of medicinal plants, as well as a solution of potassium permanganate or sea salt.
Ways to normalize the stool
How to go to the toilet after hemorrhoid surgery? It is possible that during the rehabilitation period after the operation to remove hemorrhoids, you will have problems with going to the toilet.
This is due both to the presence of pain after hemorrhoid surgery, which is still brought by healed tissue, and to the defecation process itself.
Most often, patients have constipation after surgery for hemorrhoids. In this case, you need to adhere to a certain technique so as not to cause yourself more harm.
How to treat the anus after surgery for hemorrhoids? Ask your doctor to prescribe pills or suppositories after a hemorrhoid surgery to help you manage the pain after removing the hemorrhoids. Ibuprofen, or other painkillers may be prescribed: candles with papaverine, anestezol, candles with belladonna, quick-acting ointments.
What to do with constipation after hemorrhoids surgery? When visiting the restroom, do not try to push all the contents out of you. Be extremely careful, and if after two minutes of visiting the toilet you can’t carry out a bowel movement, try again after half an hour.
If there is no stool after the hemorrhoid operation, in the intervals between visiting the restroom you need to drink and as much water as possible, as well as eat foods that help thin the feces.
Also, during rehabilitation after surgical removal of hemorrhoids, a problem such as incontinence is often encountered. Be prepared for the possibility that it will also manifest itself in you.
In order to avoid embarrassment due to this, the consequences of hemorrhoids and reduce the effect of surprise, please stock up on special diapers for adults. If the healing process goes as planned, in the near future you can refuse them.
The attending physician should prescribe medications that will help give hardness to the feces and normalize stool after a hemorrhoid surgery.
Therefore, if you experience discomfort in the presence of such an ailment, be aware that it is not for long, and is a rehabilitation procedure after surgery for hemorrhoids. Train your nerves and muscles with small exerciseswhich is possible within the permitted.
The main rules of rehabilitation
The recovery technique in the postoperative period is selected individually for each patient and is aimed at restoring the full functioning of the vessels. Treatment after hemorrhoidectomy should be comprehensive and includes the following:
- The use of medicines. To accelerate the healing of postoperative sutures, ointments or suppositories are applied topically after surgery with anesthetic, wound healing, anti-inflammatory or hemostatic effect (drugs are selected taking into account the patient's problem after resection of hemorrhoid cones). With a successful operation, treatment with medications may not be required.
- Dietary nutrition. While scar healing after excision of hemorrhoids takes place, it is necessary to minimize the risk of injury to the rectal mucosa or anus by intestinal gases and dense feces. Food during the recovery period should be easily absorbed by the body and not linger in the intestines.
- Hygiene. It is necessary to wash the anus with cool water using baby soap. Non-compliance with hygiene in the postoperative period after removal of hemorrhoids often causes infection of the sutures by pathogenic microflora.
- Adequate motor activity. Despite the fact that approximately 4 days after hemorrhoid surgery, many patients feel much better compared to the preoperative state, scar healing has not yet occurred and it is necessary to minimize physical load on the pelvic area to prevent possible complications.
In order for recovery after removal of hemorrhoids to go without complications, all points of medical recommendations must be observed. Failure to follow the rules of rehabilitation can cause the reappearance of hemorrhoidal cones or the development of other problems in the patient.
General rules for rehabilitation after surgery for hemorrhoids
When can I sit after surgery for excised hemorrhoids? After excision of hemorrhoidal nodes, the recovery period immediately begins. At first, patients feel pain and discomfort, which disappear on day 4 after the intervention. A special diet and the implementation of medical prescriptions are recommended for patients, after which a week later, the person returns to his usual life.
The first two postoperative weeks are recommended in bed rest.This is necessary so that there are no loads on the body and to prevent pronounced relapses of hemorrhoidal disease with serious complications.
When lying down, light physical exercises should be done:
- raise arms and legs up
- raise / lower the pelvic part of the body.
Charging begins with a light load, which gradually increases (you cannot overdo it). Can I sit right after surgery? Proctologists recommend sitting on a chair on the second day. First you need to sit down on 3 pillows, daily removing one per day. During sitting down, the patient should not feel sharp pain. Patients may experience pulling discomfort. For a month after surgery, patients are prohibited from physical activity and weight lifting. Instead of sitting and standing, patients should walk or lie down during rehabilitation. You can fully sit after 3 weeks.
Immediately before the operation to remove hemorrhoids is completed, the patient must perform the following procedures:
- Bowel cleansing. Laxatives or an enema are used.
- A special diet that excludes foods that can irritate the intestines.
- Removal of inflammatory processes.
Surgical removal of hemorrhoids has its advantages:
- the postoperative period before recovery is very short,
- in one operation, several nodes are excised,
- there is no wound left after the intervention.
If you carefully follow all the recommendations given by your doctor in the rehabilitation period after removing the hemorrhoids, then very soon you will return to normal life. But this does not mean that you need to forget about all precautions.
Continue to adhere to a not strict, but still, diet, walk more, breathe fresh air, pay attention to physical activity, be careful in your movements.
If you strictly follow all the recommendations for treatment in the postoperative period of hemorrhoids, there will be no hemorrhoids after the operation and this problem will never affect you again.
Patient problems in early rehabilitation
Surgical removal of hemorrhoids does not always immediately relieve the patient of problems; often, early postoperative complications occur. By most often, the following uncomfortable manifestations are noted in patients:
- Severe pain. After the effect of anesthesia ends, patients have pain in the anus. Sometimes the pain is so unbearable that injections of non-narcotic (Nimesulide, Diclofenac) or narcotic (Promedol, Omnopon) analgesics are prescribed to alleviate the human condition. Typically, severe pain lasts no more than 2-3 days and gradually subside as the healing of postoperative scars.
- Urinary retention. Temporary difficulty urinating more often in men after hemorrhoid surgery when epidural anesthesia was used. The violation is temporary and treatment is rarely required, usually normal urination is restored independently within a day after removal of hemorrhoidal formations. In order to alleviate the condition, patients are shown catheterization of the bladder.
- Prolapse of the rectum. Similar effects after removal of hemorrhoids in patients do not happen often and usually occurs when the anal sphincter was affected during surgery or the person has valve weakness. To eliminate the violation, depending on the severity of the condition, conservative or surgical treatment is used.
- Narrowing the anus. This happens if hemorrhoidectomy was done with improper suturing. In patients, the consequences of improper suturing of surgical wounds will be pain during bowel movements and a constant feeling of intestinal disability.
An operation to remove hemorrhoids, except for pain in the operated area, may not cause any negative consequences, but a number of patients experience psychological problems associated with the act of defecation. A person fears stool retention and at the same time fears going to the toilet. To eliminate the problem, a laxative and, in case of pain, light analgesics are prescribed. In severe cases, patients need the help of a psychologist to fight fear.
The psychological problem of bowel movements, if it is not started in a timely manner, will eventually lead to constipation and trauma to the anus.
When recovering from hemorrhoid surgery, it is recommended to treat the sutures with dressings from wound healing ointments. Internal operated hemorrhoids are restored with special suppositories with wound healing and anti-inflammatory effectiveness.
To block acute pains, non-steroid medications, analgesics, painkillers to eliminate swelling and inflammation are prescribed. On the second knocking after surgical manipulations, patients undergo a first emptying, laxatives (Mikrolaks) are prescribed to eliminate soreness. To avoid constipation, you need to drink plenty of water, eat a balanced diet. Can I sit after hemorrhoid surgery? Sitting is allowed no earlier than after 2-3 weeks, but the recommendations are given individually by the attending physician.
The consequences of hemorrhoids in women
Women often develop postoperative complications such as soreness and psychogenic constipation. It should also be noted that the risk of bleeding in the postoperative period increases if the operation was performed during menstruation. Infectious effects are equally common in both men and women.
The basics of clinical nutrition
Full recovery after surgery directly depends on what a person eats. Food during the recovery period must comply with the following rules:
- Balance Despite the exceptions to the diet of a number of foods, the necessary vitamins and nutrients must be ingested.
- Fractionality. It is recommended to eat in small portions, but often (up to 5-6 times a day).
- Cooking method. To reduce the risk of intestinal disorders, it is not recommended to fry food, it is advisable to cook dishes using stewing, baking or boiling.
- The way to eat. Before swallowing, each piece should be thoroughly chewed and avoided to drink various drinks with food.
The suggested tips will help reduce the risk of constipation and flatulence, which during the rehabilitation period can cause pain and discomfort to the patient.
In addition to the rules of eating, you should pay attention to the food set, because the type of food eaten depends on the full functioning of the intestine.
Diet is an important stage of rehabilitation after surgery for hemorrhoids
After the operation to excise hemorrhoids, a special diet is recommended, which helps patients quickly recover. The diet should be rich in vitamins, nutrients, fiber, antioxidants.
Useful menu products:
- citrus fruits
For cooking, cereals and legumes are suitable. To avoid constipation, you need to drink a lot, and water is not replaced with stewed fruit or tea. In the postoperative period, you should drink up to 2.5 liters of non-carbonated water.
There are dishes that are strictly forbidden to eat, as they contribute to the occurrence of relapses and provoke other pathological processes. You can not eat fatty and fried foods, spicy sauces and fresh bread are also prohibited.It is better to refuse tea and strong coffee too, there is no talk of soda at all - they are very harmful to health.
Products provoking hemorrhoidal disease:
- Ham, pork, sausages.
- Beef broth.
- Bacon, goose, ducklings.
- Fresh cucumbers.
- Peppers with onions.
- Boiled cabbage.
It is forbidden to use seasonings, ketchups, sauces, mustard, spices. You should temporarily abandon olives, pickles, herring, caviar, sauerkraut, pickles. At first, patients who underwent surgery to excise hemorrhoids are forbidden to enjoy sweets and pastries. It is better to replace them with herbal teas, fruit cocktails. Alcoholic beverages remain banned for a long period.
The use of tools and techniques
In the recovery period of hemorrhoids after surgery, ointments are used to promote wound healing, analgesics, suppositories. At first, the chair will cause certain inconvenience due to pain.
After surgery, it begins on the second day. To minimize discomfort, treatment with laxatives and the use of large quantities of fluids are recommended. The stool softens from their effects.
The ability to return to work is individual. In most cases, people can go to work after three weeks, and after a month of rehabilitation, performance will be fully restored. If latex ligation is performed, you may feel unwell and discomfort for up to seven days.
With the Milligan-Morgan method, the disease extremely rarely has a relapse, and rehabilitation occurs in a short time. Longo method has the shortest recovery time - no more than three days. But during this time period there are painful sensations during bowel movements.
Rehabilitation after removal of hemorrhoids, which is carried out with an external node, can last for 30 days. Transanal deserterization treatment is considered an effective method. An analgesic will need to be applied several days after the operation is completed.
Tip: it is important to follow bed rest after surgery for 14 days. Any excessive efforts often lead to the fact that hemorrhoids appear again after surgery.
The postoperative menu should include foods rich in fiber and moisture.
- porridge (except rice and semolina),
- vegetable soups
- mashed vegetables
- casseroles of meat or cottage cheese,
- non-fat fermented milk products,
- fruits and berries without seeds,
- compotes and juices,
- ground or finely chopped meat and fish of low-fat varieties.
With caution, it is recommended to eat fresh vegetables. They are allowed to eat only if the person has no tendency to flatulence.
Hygiene during rehabilitation after surgery to remove hemorrhoids
The postoperative period requires particularly enhanced hygiene by the operated patient. Regular care of the anorectal area is necessary. Proctologists recommend a two-time wash with baby soap. Lingerie should be worn seamless, made from natural fabrics.
After each emptying, doctors recommend washing the anus with cool water. This helps to increase vascular tone and stimulate the outflow of plasma from the mucosa of the rectum.
Subject to all the rules of hygiene measures, patients manage to avoid not only recurrence of hemorrhoids, but also the occurrence of many undesirable postoperative consequences. When washing, it is necessary not only to eliminate pollution, it is also possible to conduct useful sessions using herbal decoctions, washing the anus. From hemorrhoids, chamomile infusion, decoctions with a succession of nettles, yarrow, and St. John's wort help. These herbs help relieve pain, inflammation, and disinfect the affected area.Decoctions are recommended not only to wash, but also to make baths of local influence.
Important: treatment procedures can only be started after the permission of the attending proctologist. After excision of hemorrhoids, the doctor examines the patient daily, if rehabilitation is quick, then the patient is recommended to use folk remedies with herbs.
Treatment of complications after removal of hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids and its consequences after surgery require compulsory treatment. Consider how to treat individual postoperative complications.
- In case of urinary retention, a catheter is inserted to release the bladder from the fluid.
- With a small bleeding, specialists prescribe hemostatic suppositories, and with massive bleeding - repeated flashing of the vessels or their ligation.
- With severe pain, the use of pain medications is indicated, most often in the form of ointments or suppositories.
- Suppuration of a postoperative wound requires drainage and antibiotic therapy.
- With rectal prolapse, repeated surgery is performed with plastic of the anal ring.
- Rectal stricture also requires surgical treatment, during which rectum plastic surgery is performed.
- Rectal fistula is treated conservatively, but if they do not heal, then the fistula canal is excised.
To avoid complications after surgical treatment of hemorrhoids, you must strictly follow the recommendations of your doctor. It is also important to perform an operation in an experienced specialist, because the outcome of treatment directly depends on the professionalism of the proctologist.
In order to prevent hemorrhoids, it is recommended to eat properly so that there is no constipation. You should also avoid prolonged sitting, if the work is connected with a computer or a car, then hemorrhoids can be avoided in another way. Every 1.5 hours you need to get up from a chair or from behind the wheel in order to do therapeutic exercises for the anorectal zone. Good results are given by Kegel gymnastics, it is developed on the basis of squeezing and unclenching muscles in the anorectal region.
Hemorrhoids will never bother if a person excludes hard physical labor, leads an active lifestyle, drink at least 2 liters of water per day, walk on foot, start the morning with a drunk glass of cool water.
Physical activity after surgery
The treatment of hemorrhoids does not end with an operation, after removal of the hemorrhoid cones, to ensure full recovery of the body, it is necessary to provide a gentle load on the perineum during the rehabilitation period. Depending on how much time has passed since a hemorrhoidectomy, doctors may recommend the following:
- In the early days, complete peace. Patients must comply with strict bed rest, while it is strictly forbidden to strain the press and make sudden movements. During this period, tissues damaged by surgery are actively healed and scars form.
- Exercise can only be done for 2-3 weeks. Proctologists recommend walking on the spot or breathing exercises. Physical activity that does not cause overstrain of the muscles of the perineum helps to improve blood supply to tissues, and scar healing takes less time.
Sexual contact is permitted only 2-3 weeks after hemorrhoidectomy, while anal sexual contact is strictly prohibited.
Postoperative recovery lasts up to 2 months and all this time patients are considered incapable of work.
To reduce the risk of re-formation of hemorrhoids, it is recommended not to be in a sitting position for a long time. Doctors advise people whose work activities involve a long sitting at a table or driving to purchase a special pillow-ringlet on the seat.
This trouble appears often enough. Hemorrhoidectamia leads to problems with urination in men after 24 hours. A catheter is used to remove urine.
This feeling arises due to the fact that many nerve endings are located in the rectum and next to the anus. A sensation of pain usually appears after the end of the action of anesthesia. For patients with a high pain threshold, narcotic analgesics are used. They are consumed for two days.
Persons with hemorrhoids removed are advised to observe the following rules:
- Wear soft underwear. It is unacceptable to wear cowards made of rough synthetic fabrics. And women are forbidden to wear thongs.
- Wash the crotch with water and baby soap 2 times a day.
- Use only soft toilet paper (if possible, it is recommended to wash with cool water after each bowel movement).
Compliance with hygienic recommendations can reduce the risk of infection of postoperative sutures.
OUR READERS RECOMMEND!
For effective treatment of hemorrhoids, our readers advise Rectin.
This natural remedy that quickly eliminates pain and itching helps to heal anal fissures and hemorrhoids.
The composition of the drug includes only natural ingredients with maximum efficiency. The tool has no contraindications, the effectiveness and safety of the drug has been proven by clinical studies at the Research Institute of Proctology.
To learn more. "
Possible postoperative complications
Removal of hemorrhoids can be successful, but due to a violation by patients of the rules of rehabilitation, sometimes complications arise:
- The appearance of suppuration. The most common problem is non-compliance with hygiene rules. If you do not start treating the resulting abscesses in a timely manner, then in the future this will lead to phlegmon or to the formation of a rectal fistula.
- The appearance of bleeding. A similar complication is the result of trauma to the areas of the anus and rectum that have not yet healed, with fecal masses or with strong muscle tension in the perineum. Bleeding can be minor or heavy (if large vessels are damaged). For treatment, hemostatic sponges are used and, if necessary, hemostatic agents are injected.
In most cases, these phenomena can be avoided by observing medical recommendations.
This complication develops immediately after surgery or after a few days. It occurs due to injury by the masses of feces of the rectal membrane in the place where the suture was applied, or when a crack appears.
Another reason for the appearance of bleeding is a vessel that was not sufficiently cauterized during surgery. A thin crust falls off with the first bowel movement.
Bleeding is stopped with a cotton pad, adrenaline is applied to it. The damaged vessel is flashed again.
Signs of complications
Deviations in postoperative healing can be suspected by the following symptoms:
- Prolonged severe pain. The normal duration of expressed pain should not exceed 2-3 days, in most operated patients the pain becomes moderately tolerable already a day after the operation.
- Fever. On the first day, a slight subfebrile temperature rise is possible, but if hyperthermia lasts several days, then this is a sign of an inflammatory process.
- The appearance of purulent discharge from the anus (occurs with feces during bowel movements).
- The appearance of blood stains on linen. A small amount of blood with feces is permissible, but if bleeding is plentiful and is noted not only during a trip to the toilet, but also at rest, then this is a dangerous sign.
The consequences accompanying operated hemorrhoids are always dangerous and require immediate treatment.If you ignore the signs that have arisen, then life-threatening conditions may develop.
The surgeon can perform the operation and remove the hemorrhoid cones, but further recovery depends not only on the doctor, but also on the patient. If the patient strictly follows medical recommendations regarding nutrition, hygiene and physical activity during rehabilitation, then the prognosis is favorable. During the healing period of postoperative scars, the risk of complications is minimal and there is almost no relapse of the disease.
The appearance of fistulas
During surgery, muscle tissue may seize when suturing occurs. Pathogenic flora gets there, and a fistula appears. Sometimes it can open outward. Treatment takes place either by surgery or by conservation.
Fear of pain
Some people have a feeling of fear that arises after the operation, that during the act of defecation pain will appear, and because of this, constipation occurs. Questions also arise as to whether one can sit and when one can sit down.
To eliminate the ailment, laxatives are used, according to the doctor's prescription, a person is transferred to special nutrition. The attending physician can prescribe an analgesic or ointment based on nitroglycerin, they contribute to the relaxation of the sphincter.
Postoperative Wound Healing
In some cases, rehabilitation after surgery for hemorrhoids due to a non-healing wound can last a long time. With home treatment, you can sit in herbal baths for a speedy recovery. They are made on the basis of decoctions of medicinal herbs.
It is necessary to take such herbs that have a bactericidal, analgesic, healing, anti-inflammatory effect. You can take medicinal chamomile, calendula, sage or manganese solution.
Nutrition and Diet
So that the wounds can heal sooner, after the operation, you should eat right. A day after the intervention, a hunger strike is recommended so as not to cause stools.
From products should be excluded those that contribute to gas formation. You need to eat several times a day, in small portions and best of all by the hour.
Food should not lead to irritation of the digestive system, but help soft stools form.
Do not eat foods that contain large amounts of coarse fiber.
- some types of greens - chives, sorrel, spinach,
- vegetables - white cabbage, radish, radish, turnip,
- fruits - gooseberries and raspberries, apples and dates,
- related to legumes - lentils, beans, beans and peas should be completely excluded, as well as rye bread, raisins, tangerines.
From drinks whole milk, any gas-containing drinks are harmful. There are a number of products that enhance the rush of blood in the pelvis. They should be completely excluded from consumption. These include: smoked meats, pickled products, spicy seasonings, canned food, spices. Alcoholic drinks, regardless of their strength.
It is recommended to limit the intake of protein products that are difficult to digest - pork, ducklings, lamb, mushrooms. Products containing carbohydrates that are easy to digest include granulated sugar, buns, cookies, cakes, and pastries.
What to eat?
Observing the diet, you must know that it must necessarily contain liquid food and a large amount of water.
- loose cereal from wheat or buckwheat is allowed,
- wheat flour bread,
- dairy products,
- meat with a small amount of fat (beef, chicken),
- some varieties of vegetables and fruits.
Proper nutrition is a critical factor. Without it, recovery can stretch significantly. Violation or non-compliance with the diet can lead to complications and inflammatory processes.Such troubles can delay healing and interfere with the restoration of the patient's disability.
How many days does hemorrhoids heal after surgery
How long the hemorrhoids heal after surgery and how long the rehabilitation period lasts depends on many different factors, the main of which is the patient’s strict adherence to all medical recommendations.
When surgery is needed
Hemorrhoids of stages 1-3 can be successfully treated with conservative and minimally invasive methods (wound healing after minimally invasive treatment takes from 7 to 14 days). Radical operations are used in extreme cases. The main indications are a disease in the 4th degree of development, proceeding with the following complications:
- hemorrhoidal nodes not falling into the anal canal, falling out during any physical exertion, including when laughing, coughing, sneezing, etc.,
- acute hemorrhoidal vein thrombosis, accompanied by severe pain in the anus,
- spasm of sphincteric muscles and, as a result, pinching of the prolapsed nodes,
- muscle sphincter muscle failure,
- pararectal fistula
- heavy rectal bleeding, which threatens the development of iron deficiency anemia,
- hemorrhoids of stage 3-4, proceeding in conjunction with other proctological pathologies: prolapse of the rectum, acute paraproctitis, ulcerative colitis.
A radical and rather traumatic operation to remove enlarged hemorrhoidal nodes with a scalpel. It is carried out in three ways:
- open hemorrhoidectomy - wounds after excision of the cones are left open. Wound healing takes 1 to 2 months,
- Ferguson hemorrhoidectomy (closed) - suture using self-absorbing threads, make wound drainage. The recovery period is 2-4 weeks,
- Parks hemorrhoidectomy (submucosal) - the surgeon preserves the mucous membrane, excising only deformed veins, tightly suturing the edges of the wound. The rehabilitation period with this method is from 10 to 14 days.
Hemorrhoidectomy is considered the most difficult operation to remove hemorrhoids. It requires mandatory hospitalization of the patient and his subsequent stay in the hospital. The patient’s postoperative recovery period is also affected by strict adherence to all the doctor’s prescriptions, as well as a strict diet.
The operation is performed only with internal hemorrhoids. Today it is the most modern operational method, which has low trauma and is characterized by a short rehabilitation period. The surgeon removes a portion of the rectal mucosa along the entire diameter, and then sutures the edges of the wound.
Thanks to this technique, the nodes are pulled up, and the anatomical structure of the anal canal is completely restored. The total period of incapacity for work is 7-20 days, including the postoperative stay of the patient in the hospital.
Factors Affecting Hemorrhoid Healing
According to proctologists, for each patient, the recovery period after surgery is individual. How long the healing of hemorrhoids takes place depends primarily on the characteristics of the body, the rate of tissue regeneration, on the complexity of the operation itself and on the existing complications.
In some patients, rehabilitation takes 2 weeks, in others up to 2 months. But you can reduce the recovery time of the body by observing simple, but effective medical recommendations.
Diet and diet
A strict diet is one of the main factors for a quick recovery. Proper and balanced nutrition will help restore strength after surgery and prevent constipation and trauma to postoperative sutures.
- vegetables: pumpkin, zucchini, carrots, beets (not more than 2 times a week),
- fruits: green apples (not more than 1 pc per day), bananas, pears,
- dietary meat: chicken, rabbit, veal,
- cereals on the water: oatmeal, buckwheat,
- low fat dairy products,
- drinks: green or black weak and unsweetened tea, jelly, dried fruit compotes, freshly squeezed fruit and vegetable juices, decoctions of chamomile and rosehip.
It is very important to drink 2 liters of water every day. Water cannot be replaced with tea or compotes. The best option is to drink 1-2 glasses in between meals.
From the daily menu, you should definitely exclude products that aggravate the functioning of the digestive apparatus, which cause fermentation processes in the intestine and increase gas formation:
- vegetables: cabbage, legumes, cucumbers, onions, garlic,
- fruits: grapes, citrus fruits, avocados,
- meat: fatty pork, game, beef, turkey,
- cereals: pearl barley, wheat,
- any dairy products
- semi-finished meat products,
- Butter baking, sweets, confectionery.
- drinks: coffee, instant hot chocolate, alcohol, highly carbonated drinks.
It is strictly forbidden to eat spicy, pickled, fried, smoked dishes, as well as fast food.
As for the diet, nutritionists strongly recommend that postoperative patients in the first five days after the operation eat food in pure form, in small portions 5-6 times a day, strictly at the same time. This will not only reduce the load on the weakened digestive tract, but also help reduce pain during bowel movements and prevent the formation of constipation.
How many days and how long does hemorrhoids heal after surgery?
Hemorrhoidectomy helps a person get rid of an unpleasant illness, however, the treatment does not end there. You also need to consider how much hemorrhoids heal after surgery to remove, and what consequences may arise during the rehabilitation period. It is very important after the operation to strictly follow the doctor’s recommendations, otherwise hemorrhoids may appear again.
How long does hemorrhoids heal after surgery - the necessary conditions for recovery
Many are interested in how hemorrhoids heal. It is worth noting that, in general, the healing process is pretty fast. However, in the first weeks it is necessary to observe bed rest, since any movement can cause repeated inflammation. Some patients feel good after a week, and therefore begin to move around a little. After 2-3 weeks, most can already afford small walks several times a day, which is especially useful for people who are overweight.
In order for the healing process to proceed as quickly as possible, the following conditions must be observed:
- Norms of physical activity and behavior. In the postoperative period, it is important to abandon any physical activity, you can not lift anything heavy. In addition, you must not be nervous or screaming. Any stressful situations can affect how many days the sutures will heal.
- Special diet. Only light foods that are quickly absorbed and easily leave the body should be consumed. More vegetables and fruits should be present in the diet. It is forbidden to eat foods that lead to constipation. Food should be crushed, it is best to eat in small portions, up to 6 times a day. How much time will be spent on rehabilitation depends on the diet. Constipation can cause a repeated attack of hemorrhoids, so you need to take food very seriously during this period.
- Regular intake of medications prescribed by your doctor. Such drugs may include painkillers and disinfectants, which will prevent the appearance of unpleasant symptoms and inflammatory processes in the tissues.
- Thorough hygiene of the anus and genitals.
It depends on these points how many sutures heal after hemorrhoids heal.If the doctor's recommendations are not followed, hemorrhoids can occur again. In addition, the patient may have other, more serious complications.
What complications can occur after surgery?
After surgery to remove hemorrhoids, some complications may occur. Moreover, they can occur both immediately after surgery, and later. Typical symptoms in the postoperative period are:
- Impaired urination. Basically, this symptom manifests itself in a man within a day after surgery. This is due to the use of epidural anesthesia. As a rule, during the first days a catheter is used to remove urine. On day 2-3, everything goes away on its own, additional treatment is not required.
- Painful sensations. In the area of the anal passage and in the rectum is a large number of nerve endings. After the action of the anesthetic ends, the patient begins to feel pain in this area. In this case, as a rule, the doctor prescribes special anesthetics that help get rid of the painful symptoms.
- Prolapse of the rectum from the anus. This complication is extremely rare. It arises only due to improper actions of the surgeon if neuromuscular fibers were damaged during the operation. Elimination of complications is possible both by conservative and surgical methods.
- Bleeding. This symptom can occur immediately after the operation, if during it was not cauterized or a blood vessel was stitched. As a result, due to the slightest movement, he may fall away and begin to bleed. In addition, the flow of blood from blood vessels may appear as a result of solid feces or great effort during bowel movements. As a rule, bleeding most often occurs with constipation.
- Fistulas are also a very rare complication. Mostly fistulas appear during the capture of muscle tissue during surgery. If there is pathogenic microflora in the rectum, pus will soon go out through the fistula. Such inflammation is very serious, and therefore it is urgent to consult a doctor. Fistulas are removed surgically, extremely rarely by conservative methods.
- Narrowing the anus. This complication occurs due to improper suturing. You can eliminate the pathology using surgery or special expanders.
- Suppuration. Pus appears, as a rule, due to the fact that pathogenic microflora enters the postoperative sutures. In this case, to eliminate the complication, it is necessary to use antibacterial and anti-inflammatory drugs. If the case is severe, then sometimes they even open the wound and wash it.
Complications after removal of hemorrhoids can occur as a result of a doctor’s mistake during surgery, or due to improper patient behavior during the rehabilitation period. How long it takes to heal after removal of hemorrhoids cannot be said for sure. In this case, it all depends on the individual characteristics of the body, as well as on compliance with the diet and hygiene rules.
What to do if hemorrhoids do not heal after surgery?
The healing of anus tissue after surgery is a long process and often accompanied by inflammation. That is why many patients experience some difficulties during the rehabilitation period. In order for healing to proceed as quickly and painlessly as possible, the following drugs and procedures are prescribed to the patient:
- Nitroglycerin cream. This tool is intended for local use, the cream must be smeared directly on the anus. It helps to reduce pain and relieve sphincter spasm.
- Baths. You can use for this procedure decoctions of chamomile or calendula, as well as a weak solution of potassium permanganate.Such baths well disinfect the anus and skin, and nutrients contribute to the speedy healing of wounds and sutures.
- Rectal suppositories with anti-inflammatory effect. Natalside suppositories are best suited in this case, they are often prescribed in the postoperative period.
- Methyluracil suppositories. This tool promotes the speedy scarring of wounds in the rectum or anal passage.
- Ice packs or cold lotions. This tool helps temporarily relieve pain and reduce inflammation.
In general, the healing process after removing hemorrhoids takes about a month. Throughout this period, it is extremely important to follow all the doctor's recommendations. The first week of bed rest is required.
The second week is also best spent in bed most of the time, but with a positive result, it is already allowed to move a little. In the third week, as a rule, most patients feel noticeable relief and gradually return to the process of life.
What awaits the patient after removal of hemorrhoids: the whole truth about the rehabilitation and prevention of relapse
The patient needs recovery after surgery to remove hemorrhoids, since surgery is only part of the radical therapy.
The duration of the recovery period is determined by the stage of the disease, the size of the damage caused to the body and the method of the operation. Rehabilitation is a complex of procedures and measures recommended for the patient to perform.
Ignoring the healing treatment leads to unpleasant consequences.
Removal of hemorrhoids: postoperative period
Proctology has a wide selection of methods for removing hemorrhoids. The choice of procedure and the duration of recovery after surgery depend on the stage of the disease.
With early manifestations, minimally invasive techniques are used: methods for removing nodes without using a scalpel.
Their implementation does not require hospital treatment from the patient, they are carried out quickly and recovery takes only a few days. These methods include:
Did you know? Mikhail Sergeyevich: “I can recommend only one remedy for the quick treatment of hemorrhoids” read more…
- Cryodestruction. Removing hemorrhoids with liquid nitrogen.
- Sclerotherapy. The patient is injected with a special substance that glues blood vessels, so the lump becomes smaller.
- Laser and photocoagulation. The operation time is short. The treatment takes place using infrared radiation and a laser.
- Ligation. The hemorrhoid is pulled by a latex ring at the base.
- Deserterization. The method involves ligation of the blood vessels of the cone.
With hemorrhoids 3 and 4 stages, more radical methods are used:
The Longo method is considered the least traumatic way to remove hemorrhoids.
- Longo excision. This is an expensive, but gentle surgical removal of hemorrhoids. The patient returns to life, on average, after three days. But all the same, I am forced to observe some conditions for a full recovery.
- Hemorrhoidectomy. A complex and lengthy operation associated with large blood loss. There are open and closed forms of intervention. Held with a scalpel. The recovery period after an open operation can take a month, and 3-4 weeks when closed. This type of intervention helps to permanently get rid of the disease. Full recovery of the body occurs after a year.
Features of recovery after surgery to remove hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoidectomy, that is, surgical removal of hemorrhoidal nodes formed as a result of hemorrhoids, is practically the only option for a complete cure of the patient at stage 3-4 of the disease.
So that after the operation to remove hemorrhoids the entire healing process takes place in the shortest possible time, it is necessary to adhere to the recommendations of the attending physician.
The rehabilitation period will go without complications if the patient is aware in advance about all the nuances of the body's recovery process.
Removal of hemorrhoids, or rather hemorrhoidal nodes, is currently carried out in advanced cases. Minimally invasive techniques are very popular, such as sclerotation, photocoagulation, ligation. Such treatment methods make the postoperative period after removal of hemorrhoids easily leaking. The very next day, in the absence of complications, the patient can already sit.
But not always removal of hemorrhoids is possible in minimally invasive ways. And then the only treatment option is hemorrhoidectomy - a surgical intervention performed in various ways.
During hemorrhoidectomy, the patient is injected into general anesthesia and a full operation is performed, after which it is necessary to stay in the hospital for several days.
Therefore, rehabilitation after removal of hemorrhoids is initially controlled by health workers, who must explain how to care for a postoperative wound, how to speed up healing and how to prevent possible complications.
Hemorrhoidectomy is prescribed in cases where:
- Pathology is at the 3-4 stage of development. Moreover, the operation to remove hemorrhoids is prescribed, both with the external and internal form of the disease. Often, with an internal arrangement of nodes, hemorrhoidectomy is the only option for their removal.
- Internal nodes often fall out or there are many of them.
- Minimally invasive techniques were ineffective.
Surgical removal of hemorrhoids in hospitals in most cases is offered to people after 40 years. In young people, after hemorrhoidectomy, complications occur much more often, which doctors attribute to the fact that care after surgery is not fully observed.
Features of recovery after hemorrhoidectomy
How long the rectum injured during the operation will heal depends on the technique of the surgical intervention undertaken. With open hemorrhoidectomy, the rehabilitation time after hemorrhoid surgery reaches 6 weeks. If excision was carried out in a closed way, then the recovery process will take a little less than a month.
The recovery period involves following a diet, limiting physical activity and using a number of medications. If all recommendations are followed, then a relapse of hemorrhoids is unlikely even 10-20 years after the operation.
What to do at home and how to treat hemorrhoids after a patient's operation should be enlightened by the doctor. For each patient, the doctor can develop an individual recovery scheme, taking into account his age, the presence of secondary pathologies, the general condition of the body. The rehabilitation plan below is generally accepted, but the surgeon often expands it with additional recommendations.
Use of medicines after surgery
In the treatment of hemorrhoids after surgery, it is important to pay increased attention to the healing of postoperative wounds. To completely eliminate infection and accelerate the restoration of the damaged wall of the rectum, you must:
- After each act of defecation, wash yourself using a shower for these purposes.
- After a shower, apply a bandage with Levomekol ointment to the anus. Candles after hemorrhoid surgery are usually prescribed if the nodes were internal. Suppositories with anti-inflammatory, regenerating and analgesic properties are selected.
- Levomekol is used for up to three weeks, then it is changed to solcoseryl, actovegin, methyluracil. These drugs speed healing.
In the recovery period after hemorrhoid surgery, you can use the bath with the addition of a decoction of chamomile, potassium permanganate.All actions aimed at healing the sutures should be carried out for at least one month. Usually during this time, the process of tissue epithelization occurs. Treatment is canceled after examination.
Many patients are interested in when you can sit after a hemorrhoidectomy, when you can not limit yourself to physical activity and resume sports.
It is advisable to sit down after surgery no earlier than the 5th day, but you need to use a pillow or donut-shaped device. In the first month of recovery, the weight of the lifted weights should not exceed three kilograms.
In the future, for at least six months you should not engage in heavy physical labor. During this period, long run and walking should also be limited.
Hemorrhoid surgery is a radical but necessary treatment. If it is not done on time, then the consequences for a person can be very serious, and sometimes they become fatal.