How to tie a tie
A man’s wardrobe must include a strict classic suit, a snow-white shirt, as well as a bow tie or tie to create an integral image. Many men still have not learned how to deal with a tie, spending a large amount of time on weaving it. Therefore, tips and lifehacks on how to quickly tie a tie are enjoying unprecedented popularity and interest around the world.
In fact, many people underestimate the importance of a tie, and stylists note that this is an integral attribute of the image of a successful modern man. Such an accessory is worn today not only for business meetings and work, but also in an informal setting. Most often, from his own ignorance of how to quickly and easily tie a tie, a man refuses to tie, although you can cope with this task in just 10 seconds.
Types of Ties
Before discovering a quick way to tie a tie, a man, in principle, should familiarize himself with the features of this accessory, as well as understand the types of ties. Fashion designers today offer several types of ties, depending on their purpose - traditional for a strict suit and working atmosphere, festive for special occasions, and exclusive for lovers of custom outrageous style.
Still, classic options for accessories are in special demand, namely:
- Windsor is a tie knot that was first shown to the world by the Duke of Windsor. Such an element of the image of a man is distinguished by breadth, massiveness due to dense materials, symmetry and a neat appearance.
- Regatta - a finished tie with a knot for men who do not have time to learn the intricacies of tying an accessory. It is used rather for everyday wear, as it can be worn quickly and easily.
The Bolo model acts as an exclusive tie - a thin lace with a brooch or clip, adopted from the fashion of American cowboys. Lavalier is a butterfly for real fashionistas and connoisseurs of hipster style in clothes. Lavalier is another version of an exclusive tie, but only an improved version of Plastron and Ascot. This tie can be made from fabrics such as chiffon, silk or satin.
A quick way to tie a tie
Having understood the varieties and classifications of men's accessories, you can start learning how to quickly and beautifully tie a tie. The times when a wife braided a tie for a man have long sunk into the summer, now every successful and modern man should have this skill in his arsenal. In addition, experts offer a huge number of ways how to cope with such a task.
In this case, we are talking about the standard procedure for weaving a tie, which was developed many years ago. First, a tie is classically taken, throws a loop around the neck, but so that the seam is on the inside and the ends hang down on the chest. The thin end should be located on the left, respectively, the thick part of the tie will be on the right. Next, perform the following steps:
- the thick side is knotted to the second edge,
- then the end of the thick edge and pulled through a noose around the neck from a tie,
- the thick end is pulled down under the thin end in the direction of the right hand,
- we frame the thin edge to the left with a thick edge,
- the thick end of the accessory is again pulled through the knot on the neck into the resulting loop,
- the bundle is gently tightened, comparing the ends of the tie in one position.
In fact, the answer to the question of how to tie a tie in 10 seconds is considered to be the nominal technique, since it takes exactly the same amount of time. Ties with an already finished loop promise the same result, they are simply put on the neck and pulled under its circumference.
For weaving a double knot also use the classic options for ties, which were described above. You can perform this trick by following several steps:
- the thick edge of the accessory is applied to the thin one, the loop is performed first at the back and again stretched to the front side,
- now the thick edge is pulled down, and then directed to the right,
- they also hold a loop in front of the neck, moving the end to the side of the left hand,
- over the resulting knot spend the thick edge of the tie in the direction of the right side,
- through the noose around his neck he is again led upstairs,
- in the eye formed from a thick strip, you need to thread its end, lowering the edge parallel to a thin strip.
This type of weaving is most often used in working with a tie of any type, as a result, you get a triangle or a Hannover knot. You can perform it in the following steps:
- both ends of the tie cross so that a wide strip lies on top and straight down, and a thin strip is thrown to the right,
- overlap a wide strip in the right direction over a narrow edge,
- throw the wide part from bottom to top through the resulting loop,
- the wide end is first directed down and to the left side, then a new knot is formed,
- wrapping the knot once, a thick strip of tie must be drawn through the top of the loop
- wrap another knot with a wide ribbon around an existing knot, directing it to the left side,
- through the neck loop behind, a thick strip of tie is pulled out, pulled through a knot, tied and pulled down.
The triangular weaving technique is quite complicated, it is rarely practiced and mainly for solemn and festive events. Accordingly, the triangle accepts festive and exclusive types of accessories.
A triple knot or Trinity technique is an ideal way to tie a festive solemn tie for a special event. To do this, do the following manipulations:
- a tie is thrown around the neck with the ends down along the chest,
- a wide band is fixed at the right level,
- a thin strip is crossed to a thick one, after which a loop is made, a thin edge is passed through it,
- the ends of the tie cross again, thereby closing the loop,
- behind the thick end draw a thin edge of the accessory,
- they pass it through the loop on the back side,
- the end is directed to the right,
- the end of this strip is crossed horizontally over the wide part, but without tension,
- a narrow strip is carried out from top to bottom between the main node and the horizontal segment,
- the thin end is pulled back
- through the upper loop formed, thread the thin end up,
- the thin end of the tie is camouflaged on the inside of the knot.
Now it remains only to tweak all three nodes, to straighten a wide strip of the accessory to emphasize the special technique of weaving.
This technique is widespread among European men who tie a Christenses tie. For such a knot, ties made of natural cashmere or wool are often used, which is inherent in the cold season. You can make a cross knot as follows:
- a thick strip is imposed on top of a thin one with a left direction, a second edge is bent around with a thick tip, it is also brought out under a thin strip in the right direction,
- the thick edge is thrown over the resulting loop and sent to the left,
- a thick strip is wrapped around a thin loop,
- turn the edge of the thick end to the right and pass through this loop,
- through the formed double eye, the thick edge of the accessory is again pulled, tightening the knot.
Despite this original name, making a tie in this style is quite simple and easy. This style requires a high collar shirt at least 4 cm.
In theory, the steps and stages of weaving a tie seem quite complicated and not always clear, so the methods are better to back up the video how to tie a tie in 10 seconds. Namely:
All of these methods require specific varieties of ties and activities. And only a simple standard version can be used universally by all men. If you do not follow the rules of choosing a tie, as well as the methods of weaving, a man risks becoming famous as a "simpleton" with a bad taste.
A tie is an important element of the integral and harmonious image of a modern man. Today there are 3 classification of ties for men - classic, solemn and exclusive. For each type of accessory, experts offer special techniques for how to quickly and beautifully tie a tie.
The most common methods for weaving ties are a simple and double knot, as well as a small knot with a wide strip turning in the opposite direction, a Wismar knot for informal meetings or a Kent knot for shortened accessory options.
Easy way to tie a tie or Kent knot
The Kent or Kent site is the easiest site to start learning from. The knot fits classic and informal clothing styles for all types of ties and shirt collar shapes.
Click to enlarge the Kent node diagram!
Simple and versatile Four-in-Hand
The Fourth or Four-in-Hand node is the most versatile, yet easy way to tie a tie. It consists of 7 steps (see illustration), but will suit any occasion and style of clothing. The knot fits a classic, medium and wide collar.
Click to enlarge the Four-in-Hand!
Symmetric Windsor Knot
The Windsor or Windsor knot is a voluminous and symmetrical knot that looks great on a collar with soft corners (like on polo shirts), a medium and wide collar.
Click to enlarge the Windsor!
Fashion asymmetry or Prince Albert knot
The Prince Albert knot or Prince Albert is a rather sophisticated and asymmetric tie knot. Looks great on men of lean physique. We recommend using a thin tie up to 5-6 cm wide. Suitable for medium, wide and button collar.
Click to enlarge the Prince Albert node diagram!
The Kelvin or Kelvin node is named after the physicist and inventor William Thomson, 1st Baron Kelvin - the one who invented the Kelvin scale. Very similar to the Fourth Knot, suitable for short and classic collars.
Click to enlarge the Kelvin!
Half Windsor Node
The Half Windsor Knot, or Half Windsor Knot, is a versatile knot, perfect for wide and tight ties. The knot is quite symmetrical and is suitable for wide collars and collars with soft corners.
Click to enlarge the half windsor!
Pratt Knot or American
Node Pratt, or Pratt, was coined by US Chamber of Commerce Jerry Pratt. The knot is universal and suitable for a classic collar and with rounded ends.
Click to enlarge the Pratt!
More interesting and complex nodes
Choosing the Right Knot for a Tie
Knots for a tie are different from each other. Size, symmetry and shape can vary greatly. Depending on the tie, the type of knot and the ability to tie a tie, the result will be different. For example, wide ties are often tied only with middle knots, such as “Quarter” or “Kent”. Thin, they are tied with any knots, including the Windsor or Pratt nodes.
Each node is individual. The instructions and recommendations that we propose to study will improve the image. Allow to find originality and elegance. To understand how to tie a tie is not difficult, study the pictures and diagrams. In the page we attached a photo of a knotted tie, to understand how the knot looks. Experiment! Play with shapes and fabrics, colors and tie patterns. Those around you will surely pay attention to you.
By the way, in our online store you can buy a handmade woolen tie or buy a thin tie that your colleagues, friends and close people will definitely notice. The effect of “wow” is guaranteed!
TIES AT BOWANDTIE ONLINE STORE
Doubt what size tie is suitable for you in length? Use the tie length calculator, which will help you calculate the recommended length, taking into account the height and size of the collar. After calculating, feel free to go shopping at the store.
If you only comprehend the ability to tie a tie, you will have difficulties. We recommend that you read our published article on how to tie a tie.
How to choose the color of a tie? This question is asked by many people, picking up a tie to a suit and shirt. We have prepared material that tells about the 12 most popular colors of a tie, and also placed recommendations on which men's suits and shirts will suit this or that color.
How to choose a pattern on a tie? Depending on the upcoming event, it is necessary to decide which print or pattern is most suitable for a formal or informal dress code. Read about 9 types of drawings on a tie, and also follow the recommendations where it is appropriate to wear a tie.
When purchasing a men's accessory, make sure the quality of the product. This is important in cases where these accessories are visible to others and form a business style. A good, high-quality tie meets several requirements, which we described in detail in the prepared article.
What do you think a tie is made of? Should it be exclusively silk? Today, men's fashion prefers wool and cotton ties, which complement the variety of smart casual style.