False gynecomastia: symptoms and treatment
The word gynecomastia of ancient Greek origin literally means “female breasts”. It is clear that this is a pathology, or aesthetic defect, in men. Male breasts can increase due to the growth of muscle tissue (pump up), and the female type - due to the growth of fat, connective and glandular tissue, and it is the latter option called gynecomastia, which is true and false gynecomastia.
Signs of the disease
In medical terminology, false gynecomastia is also called lipomastia. In some cases, the problem appears due to hormonal failure. The increase in the number of certain hormones provokes the redistribution of adipose tissue. The patient’s figure changes, acquires a structure according to the female type. Adipose tissue is deposited in the nipple, accumulates, which contributes to the increase in breast size. This form of gynecomastia is often found in boys, during puberty and the restructuring of the body.
Symptoms of false gynecomastia:
- breast enlargement in size,
- lack of pain during palpation,
- drooping nipple halo,
- soft consistency in the field of magnifications,
- the color of the nipple does not change.
In some cases, gynecomastia becomes mixed. This means that simultaneously with an increase in adipose tissue in the mammary gland, glandular tissue grows. In this case, there are signs of true gynecomastia - there may be pain, dense texture, discoloration of the nipples.
A doctor can accurately make a diagnosis after a blood test for hormones and an ultrasound scan. Similar signs have not only true gynecomastia, but also some malignant neoplasms. If after the examination the diagnosis of "false gynecomastia" is confirmed, the doctor has the opportunity to choose the effective treatment tactics.
How to get rid of false gynecomastia?
The methods for treating false gynecomastia depend on the causes of the disease, the age of the patient, and other factors. For example, one of the ways to deal with the problem is surgery. But for adolescents, adipose tissue removal surgery is extremely rare, more often medication is selected.
The main methods of treating false gynecomastia in adult men and boys:
- drug therapy
- surgical intervention
- nutrition adjustment.
Note that a combination of several methods provides the best effect. In this case, individual characteristics of a person should be taken into account, therefore only the doctor can choose the right treatment tactics based on the results of a clinical examination. Self-medication will not give a result.
Treatment of false gynecomastia with drugs
If during the diagnosis a change in the hormonal background was revealed, which entailed a redistribution of adipose tissue, the doctor will prescribe hormonal drugs.
- "Bromocreptin" or its analogues - is used if the patient has an increased synthesis of prolactin. This hormone inhibits the synthesis of testosterone in men and affects the growth of mammary glands.
- Dostinex is an analogue of Bromocreptin, which has fewer side effects and is better tolerated by patients.
- Thiamine (Vitamin B1) - effective if false gynecomastia is caused by hyperestrogenemia. The tool blocks the excessive production of estrogen.
- "Tamoxifen" - is prescribed by a doctor if a man has an increased effect of estrogen on the receptors of target organs, including the mammary glands.
- Anabolic steroids - if there is a decrease in testosterone in the blood.
You can not take drugs on your own, without a doctor’s prescription. Incorrectly calculated dosage or duration of the course can worsen the condition of the man or provoke other diseases. Particularly cautious should be applied to hormone-containing products for boys during puberty.
In most cases, you can get rid of false gynecomastia if you change the diet and lifestyle. It is established that the disease is caused by smoking and excessive consumption of beer. Nicotine inhibits the synthesis of testosterone, and beer - increases the amount of estrogen in the body of a man. Hormonal balance is disturbed, the dominant estrogen contributes to the development of a male figure in a female type.
Another enemy is fast food and products in plastic containers. The composition of the material includes toxic substances that tend to accumulate in the body and provoke a change in hormonal levels. As for the diet - it is selected individually and contains low-calorie foods. A complex of physical exercises will enhance the effect.
• True gynecomastia - breast enlargement due to glandular hyperplasia.
• False gynecomastia (adiposomastia, or lipomastia) - a variant of pseudo-gynecomastia, when the mammary gland increases due to the deposition of adipose tissue.
• Pseudo-gynecomastia should be distinguished from false gynecomastia - an increase in the mammary glands with neoplasms. Gynecomastia can be symmetric, bilateral (a change in two mammary glands), and asymmetric, one-sided (a change in one mammary gland).
There is evidence of a more frequent occurrence of left-sided gynecomastia. In a clinical examination of a patient with gynecomastia, in addition to establishing the fact of its presence, it is necessary to assess the degree of its severity. For these purposes, the classification of the degree of manifestation of gynecomastia according to Tanner is widely used (Table 9.1).
Table 9.1. The severity of gynecomastia according to Tanner
Gynecomastia can be physiological (in certain age periods of a man’s life) and pathological. Physiological gynecomastia is a transient state that in most cases does not require treatment and passes spontaneously over time (gynecomastia of newborns and puberty). Pathological gynecomastia does not pass on its own and requires a search for the causes of its occurrence.
Gynecomastia can be a clinical manifestation of tumor diseases (for example, testicular tumor), in which case it is necessary to treat them. The main types of gynecomastia and their causes are presented in table. 9.2.
Table 9.2. Classification of gynecomastia in men
What is it: description and photo
Doctors sometimes call false gynecomastia lipomastia. This phenomenon is not a disease in the usual sense of the word. In fact, this is a cosmetic defect that develops in men with partial hypertrophy of the mammary glands and an increase in the breast due to living tissue.
False gynecomastia is most often diagnosed in men, since in a woman this pathology is invisible. The hormonal background is normal, and the increase in the mammary gland of the fair sex is only pleasing.
As for children and adolescents, they are also more often diagnosed with true gynecomastia, its causes lie in the change in hormonal levels during puberty.
Below you will see what this pathology looks like:
False gynecomastia can occur at any agebut in most cases it is diagnosed in adolescence. During this period, the hormonal background changes dramatically, and if a teenager has excess weight, the risk of developing false gynecomastia increases.
Among older men, false gynecomastia is less often diagnosed, but if you look at the root, the chest just sags because the epithelial tissue loses its elasticity. False gynecomastia can be one-sided and two-sided.
- Overweight patients - false gynecomastia occurs with accumulation of adipose tissue, fat in this case is deposited in the mammary glands according to the female type.
- Steroid Athletes - a change in the hormonal background, as well as a sharp discharge of muscle mass after the abolition of steroids, may entail the development of this pathology.
Reasons for development
In most cases, the pathology in both men and women appears against the background of excess weight. In rarer cases false gynecomastia appears as a result of hormonal failure or the presence of a malignant tumor in the pituitary gland and hypothalamus.
Hormonal balance can change naturally - puberty, and can occur with abuse of beer or with steroid medications.
After getting rid of excess weight, false gynecomastia does not go away - fat accumulations remain in the mammary gland.
Symptoms in men, women and children
Symptoms of false gynecomastia are as follows:
- the mammary gland increases in volume,
- on palpation there is no pain,
- the halos of the nipples fall,
- the breast in the area of enlargement is soft,
- the color of the nipple remains the same.
In women, false gynecomastia can be observed in the form of diffuse-nodal mastopathy, in which case the following symptoms are present:
- breast soreness
- the presence in the breast of densified areas,
- discharge from the nipples.
Sometimes the disease has a mixed character - simultaneously with an increase in the volume of adipose tissue, the glandular tissue also increases, which allows us to determine such a form of pathology as true gynecomastia:
- discoloration of the nipples,
- dense breast consistency,
Diagnosis of gynecomastia must be carried out. As already mentioned, false gynecomastia is not a serious pathology, but the fact is that the symptoms of false gynecomastia can be no different from mixed or true. With a suspicion of gynecomastia, you need to contact a mammologist, surgeon or endocrinologist.
The following studies are prescribed for the patient:
- blood test for hormones,
- blood chemistry,
- chest x-ray
- Ultrasound of the breast
Treatment of bilateral and unilateral pathology
The treatment of false gynecomastia is determined depending on the cause that caused this pathology. In some cases, false gynecomastia goes away on its own, in others it is enough to adjust the diet, start playing sports, in the third it will take medication, and sometimes it will not be possible to do without surgical intervention.
Normalization of nutrition and physical activity
The doctor can give such recommendations, provided that false gynecomastia has developed against the background of obesity. In this case, blood tests are normal, and there are no special deviations of the hormonal background.
It is recommended that the patient lose weight:
- eat fractionally
- exclude fast foods and foods that contribute to weight gain from the diet,
- eat more fruits and vegetables
- count calories.
It is also necessary to increase physical activity:
It is not forbidden to use alternative methods of treating gynecomastia:
- honey compresses
- decoctions of herbs - plantain, hops, red clover, sage, ginseng, eleutherococcus, Tribulus, cinquefoil, hibiscus.
Medication without surgery
Only a qualified specialist can prescribe medications, unauthorized use of drugs can lead to unpredictable consequences.
- If the patient has underestimated the hormone testosterone, he is prescribed Androgel. Price from 2305 to 3199 rubles. He is rubbed into the upper torso. The active substance enters the bloodstream, as a result of which the condition of the mammary glands is normalized.
- If the permissible level of female hormones significantly exceeds the norm, Clomiphene is prescribed. The price is from 550 to 700 rubles. The drug is taken 1-2 times a day, 50 mg for 3-4 months.
- In the later stages of the pathology, Tamoxifen may be prescribed. Price from 99 to 114 rubles. The dosage and course of treatment is determined by the attending physician.
Who is at risk?
Gynecomastia can occur as a result of taking steroid drugs in athletes and bodybuilders, and may appear as a result of hormonal failure. All bodybuilding enthusiasts need to understand that when taking potent drugs, such as steroids, there are almost always a number of side effects. This can be baldness or increased hairiness, a rash of acne and many others. But nothing attracts far from enthusiastic views so much as false gynecomastia.
Moreover, at the beginning of the process, most young men are embarrassed to turn to this problem with doctors, as a result, the process starts so that in the end you have to do an expensive operation.
Gynecomastia looks especially ugly in the case of total weight loss after obesity, i.e. Strong weight loss, weight loss more than 15-20 kg. Breasts sag, nipples just become huge. All this causes a man serious psycho-emotional and aesthetic discomfort. But even with the regular use of elastic bandages and other means of hiding sagging breasts, the condition is so serious that men even change their posture, there is a pronounced stoop.
To get rid of deposits, they most often recommend such a procedure as liposuction - adipose tissue is destroyed by ultrasound, laser, radio waves or drugs, and then removed from the body using a vacuum aspirator. This technique is used if there are no coarse fibrous structures in the connective tissue. If available, the usual removal technique is used - mastectomy.
In some cases, a combined method can be used - a combination of mastectomy with liposuction.
During the mastectomy, the glandular tissue is completely excised, the fatty tissue is removed, and, if necessary, part of the stretched skin is removed. Areola and nipple persist. The duration of the operation is about 1.5 hours.
The cost of surgery ranges from 60,000 to 95,000 rubles.
False gynecomastia and difference from true
To begin with, true and false gynecomastia in men differ little in appearance. In both cases, seals first appear on the breast in the area of the nipples, as a result the breast gradually becomes female. That is, the nipples begin to blur and stretch, the hair falls out and the chest becomes more feminine. With false gynecomastia, compaction and enlargement of the breast occurs due to the accumulation of fat, it is deposited according to the female type.
With true gynecomastia, growth occurs due to glandular tissue, which is first palpated near the nipple in the form of a seal, similar to a pea or bean. Quite often, a combined type of gynecomastia occurs, when all types of tissues (glandular, fatty, connective) develop. But women's breasts are 90% composed of adipose tissue. Therefore, in men, the most expressive and outwardly noticeable is false gynecomastia.
In addition to cosmetic discomfort, which can lead to various psychological pathologies, false gynecomastia does not pose a health hazard. However, a long-term progressive disease can in rare cases cause oncological processes in the mammary gland.
In order to prevent the development of lipomastia, you need:
- monitor nutrition and weight,
- do sport,
- minimize the consumption of alcoholic beverages (especially beer).
False gynecomastia is a very unpleasant phenomenon, and in men it can cause depression, nervous disorders, feelings of self-doubt. However, lipomastia can be adjusted quite successfully. The main thing is to see a doctor in time, make sure that gynecomastia is really false, find out the exact causes of its appearance and adhere to all the recommendations of a specialist in accuracy.
Etiology of false gynecomastia in men
The main cause of false gynecomastia is an increase in body fat in the chest area. This occurs solely on the background of obesity or metabolic disorders (burning fat). The mammary glands themselves do not mutate, do not increase in size, but can partially hypertrophy (not necessary).
It is worth mentioning that there is also mixed gynecomastia, in which both the mammary glands and fat deposits increase in size. But such a defect already directly depends on changes in the hormonal background and the prevalence of female sex hormones in the blood.
Against this background, the accumulation of fat mass occurs, there is a likelihood of the appearance of other secondary sexual characteristics of the "female" type.
The growth of the breast itself and its rounding does not carry any danger. Its size depends solely on the degree of obesity.
It is logical that with the normalization of the weight of a man, false gynecomastia goes away on its own (if the mammary glands have not been expanded). However, flaps of sagging skin may remain in place of the previously convex breast, but this is easily eliminated by plastic surgery.
Mostly doctors diagnose it is mixed gynecomastia. And it occurs against the background of obesity, since the more fatty deposits (in general throughout the body, and not only in the chest area) - the higher the level of estrogen. It is under their influence that redistribution of adipose tissue occurs in such a way that the breast takes on a "female" shape.
And that's why false gynecomastia in its pure form is extremely rarely diagnosed.
- First, the metabolism is disturbed, from which the man quickly gains weight.
- And along with this, the level of estrogen increases (testosterones, as a rule, drop).
The main difference between lipomastia and true gynecomastia is soft palpation. That is, the doctor during the diagnosis does not detect an enlarged and inflamed mammary gland.
At what age can it develop?
False gynecomastia can develop at any age, but most often makes itself felt in adolescence, when the hormonal background changes in the body, combined with an excess of fat mass. And this mainly occurs in 11-14 years, but only with a significant excess of weight.
More often, doctors diagnose false or mixed gynecomastia after 35 years, when in men the synthesis of sex hormones (testosterone) naturally decreases, and metabolism is also disturbed.
Especially often this occurs:
- due to the sedentary way of life,
- and also, as practice shows, due to the abuse of beer drinks, after which the distribution of adipose tissue is also impaired.
Among older men, false gynecomastia is less common. And more precisely - the breast becomes more saggy, although the fat layer in it is preserved. But this is already associated with a loss of elasticity of epithelial tissue. But the principle of treatment in this case is applied the same as with ordinary false gynecomastia.
Is lipomastia dangerous and who is involved in its treatment?
Lipomastia carries an exclusively cosmetic defect. She poses no threat to men. And recent studies also show that an increase in the amount of body fat in the breast cannot provoke the appearance of tumors, or at least affect the likelihood of this.
More precisely, he appoints the delivery of blood tests to determine the concentration of sex hormones in the body. If they are normal or the deviation will be insignificant - the patient is transferred to a nutritionist, and also sent for examination to a plastic surgeon.
False gynecomastia in men: treatment options
In medicine, several basic methods of treating lipomastia are used:
- normalization of metabolism and nutrition,
- playing sports (followed by getting rid of extra pounds),
- drug treatment
- surgical intervention (plastic surgery).
The best treatment option is normalization of nutrition and physical activity. The nutritionist oversees such therapy. Everything is very clear here - doctors simply recommend getting rid of excess weight, after which the volume of the breast comes back to normal (if an increase in the size of the breast was not detected). The period of therapy depends solely on the primary body weight of the patient, as well as on his age.
- Drug treatment - This is a specialized medication that will quickly get rid of excess adipose tissue. Most often, doctors use anabolic steroids.
Treatment in which you can get rid of false gynecomastia with steroids is used in an extreme case, when for some reason diets and physical activity do not help (or they are banally contraindicated due to the patient’s health).
Total false gynecomastia is a breast enlargement in men, in which she begins to look like a woman's. This is a purely cosmetic defect that occurs against the background of an increase in the fat layer around the mammary gland. It does not carry any danger, however, it can provoke deep depression.
According to doctors, then this defect to one degree or another occurs in about 1.5% of all men, but only a few seek medical help. Nevertheless, to date, several possible complexes of lipomastia treatment have been developed, with which you can normalize the volume of the breast in a few months.
Etiology of gynecomastia
The occurrence of gynecomastia in most cases is due to an imbalance of sex hormones: a relative or absolute increase in estrogen levels and a decrease in androgen levels. leading to breast hyperplasia in men.
An absolute increase in estrogen levels occurs in the following cases:
• The use of estrogen in the treatment of prostate cancer.
• Estrogen therapy in patients with transsexualism.
• An increase in estradiol levels is observed in testicular tumors from Leydig cells (leidigomas). In 90% of cases, the tumor is benign. Feedback increased estradiol levels reduce production luteinizing hormone (LH) and, accordingly, testosterone, and also stimulates production binding globulin sex steroid (SSSG) which leads to a decrease in the level of free testosterone and exacerbates the imbalance of sex hormones.
• Increased secretion of estrogen is observed in adrenal tumors, often benign. These neoplasms synthesize a large amount of androstenedione, DHAE and DHAE sulfate, which are the precursors of estrogen.
• Tumors producing chorionic gonadotropin (Hg) due to the stimulation of gonads, are also the cause of the absolute increase in estrogen levels. CG can be synthesized by germ cell tumors of the testes and carcinomas of various localization.
Relative increase in estrogen levels
The most common condition in which there is a relative increase in estrogen levels is VAD, in which, against the background of an age-related decrease in testosterone secretion by the testes, the levels of total and free estradiol remain normal.
With primary hypogonadism, a relative increase in estradiol levels is also noted, since an increased level of LH stimulates testicular aromatase, which leads to an increase in estrogen synthesis and exacerbation of the imbalance of sex steroids. In the framework of this pathology, Klinefelter's syndrome should be especially noted in connection with its high prevalence and poor detectability. Klinefelter's syndrome, according to the literature, is accompanied by gynecomastia in 80% of cases.
Secondary hypogonadism resulting from a variety of reasons is also the reason for the relative increase in estrogen levels and lower levels of androgens.
The development of gynecomastia with the "renewed feeding syndrome" is poorly understood. For the first time, the occurrence of gynecomastia in men starting to eat well after a long period of malnutrition was noticed during World War II in prisoners released from prisons. Gynecomastia formed in a few weeks and disappeared on its own after 1-2 years of normal nutrition. The mechanism of gynecomastia development is unknown in this case.
Impaired liver and kidney function lead to the development of gynecomastia. In patients with chronic renal failure on hemodialysis, estradiol levels increase. prolactin and decreased testosterone levels.
With liver failure, aromatization of androgens to estrogens in peripheral tissue increases, the level of SSSG increases, and accordingly, the level of free testosterone decreases, which also causes the development of gynecomastia.
Gynecomastia is observed with impaired thyroid function and occurs in 10-40% of men with hyperthyroidism. This is due to an increase in the level of SCCG and an increase in the aromatization of androgens to estrogens in peripheral tissues.
The role of hyperprolactinemia in the genesis of gynecomastia is still controversial. It is known that an increase in blood prolactin levels negatively affects the production of gonadotropins, which leads to secondary hypogonadism. Currently, it is more widely believed that hyperprolactinemia does not play a significant role in the genesis of gynecomastia.
So, in Up to Dare, version 14.3. 2006, hyperprolactinemia is not even distinguished as an independent etiological cause of the development of gynecomastia. In the Williams Textbook of Endocrinology (P. Larsen, K. Fronenberg. S. Melrned, K. Polonsky, 2002), the chapter on gynecomastia examines the role of hyperprolactinemia in the development of this disease, and the authors conclude that it is very insignificant.
In many review articles, hyperprolactinemia is not mentioned as a cause of gynecomastia. According to Turklngton R.W. (1972), most patients with gynecomastia have normal prolactin levels. It is also known that gynecomastia is not observed in all patients with hyperprolactinemia, in the guide on the diagnosis and treatment of prolactin (2006), the symptom of gynecomastia is not reflected in the clinical picture of hyperprolactinemia in men.
Nevertheless, it is well known that suppression of the production of gonadotropins leads to secondary hypogonadism, which causes gynecomastia, and a significant increase in serum prolactin levels stimulates the proliferation of breast epithelial cells. Bilateral gynecomastia occurs in HIV-infected patients who have hyperprolactinemia.
Several clinical cases of detecting breast cancer in patients with prolactinomas have been described, and therefore there is an opinion that hyperprolactinemia plays a role in its development in men. According to a study conducted. Atll et al., In which 53 patients with gynecomastia were examined, hyperprolactinemia ranks 4th in the frequency of occurrence and accounts for 9% of the total number of causes of gynecomastia, ahead of chronic liver failure (4%) and drug-induced gynecomastia (4%) . However, in a study that analyzed the causes of gynecomastia in 175 patients, hyperprolactinemia was the cause of gynecomastia in only 5 patients, which is 2.8% of all cases.
According to the results of studies by Kalinchenko S.Yu. et al., In patients with hyperprolactinemia of various etiologies, in 25% of cases there was a pathological increase in the glandular tissue of the mammary glands - gynecomastia (Fig. 9.2).
Fig. 9.2. The nature of changes in the mammary glands in men with hyperprolactinemia
In patients who applied for gynecomastia, hyperprolactinemia was the etiological cause of gynecomastia in 9% of cases, other causes of gynecomastia were pubertal gynecomastia - 18.7%, primary hypogonadism (including Klinefelter syndrome) - in 15.6% of cases, secondary hypogonadism - 15.6%, alimentary obesity - 12.5%, drug-induced gynecomastia - in 6.2%, gynecomastia due to chronic renal failure was observed in 3%, gynecomastia due to an isolated increase in the level of SSSG - 3.2 %, idiopathic gynecomastia was observed in 12.5% of patients.
Interestingly, all patients with hyperprolactinemia have bilateral gynecomastia (Fig. 9.3).
Fig. 9.3. The prevalence of true gynecomastia in men with hyperprolactinemia of various etiologies (own data)
A high incidence of gynecomastia in men.
A common form of gynecomastia is drug gynecomastia, which develops when taking medications that upset the balance between the content of androgens and estrogens in patients (Table 9.3). With drug-induced gynecomastia, hyperprolactinemia is observed in 20-25% of the total number of patients.
Table 9.3. Essential Development Medicines
Diagnosis of gynecomastia
Laboratory tests for gynecomastia should correspond to the clinical condition of each patient. It is usually sufficient to determine the levels of LH, estradiol and testosterone. In less clear cases, it is necessary to further examine the levels of CVH, the b-subunit human chorionic gonadotropin (hcg) a-fetoprotein, thyroid stimulating hormone (TTG) prolactin, as well as evaluate liver and kidney function (Table 9.4).
Table 9.4. Algorithm for examining men with gynecomastia
Differential diagnosis of gynecomastia is presented in table. 9.5.
Table 9.5. Differential diagnosis of gynecomastia
Gynecomastia treatment in men
Despite such a wide prevalence, effective methods of treating gynecomastia have not been developed. The choice of the method of drug treatment should directly depend on the etiological cause of the development of gynecomastia, therefore, in each case, a clear diagnostic search is necessary.
The main directions in the treatment of gynecomastia:
• Cancellation of drugs leading to the development of gynecomastia.
• Gynecomastia of the puberty and after starvation pass without treatment.
• Correction of thyrotoxicosis.
• Normalization of testosterone levels
The surgical method (liposuction, mastectomy) remains a fairly common method of treating gynecomastia.
The effectiveness of drug treatment of gynecomastia is low and has not been objectively proven when taking the following drugs:
• Estrogen antagonists (tamoxifen, clomiphene) - expensive, the effect is doubtful.
• Gel "Andraktim", gel dihydrotestosterone (DHT), locally (not registered in Russia) - the effect is not proven.
• Testolactone (aromatase inhibitor) orally 150 mg 3 times a day - the treatment experience in the world is small (France, Uruguay), the effect is not proven.
A patient with gynecomastia should not be hastily referred to a mastectomy.Before resorting to surgical correction, the patient must undergo a full examination and for some time just be under dynamic observation to assess the course of gynecomastia.
Why does gynecomastia occur?
The main reason for the development of such an ailment is associated with the production of testosterone, and more precisely, with its low content in relation to estrogen. You can identify the main reasons that contribute to the development of gynecomastia:
- Puberty. In adolescence, hormone production is just crazy. That is why the body begins to change so quickly. It is worth noting that if a teenager exhibits manifestations of gynecomastia, then everything normalizes after a while, when the hormonal system comes to its natural rhythm.
- Renal failure. For athletes, this disease has only a mediocre relationship.
- Body-building. Bodybuilding itself is beneficial for a man’s health, but when he starts taking steroids, his chest can quickly change in size and shape. As you know, some anabolic drugs tend to aromatize, that is, testosterone turns into estrogen - a female sex hormone.
- Refusal of sports activities and steroids. If an athlete has been engaged in heavy sports for a long time, and then abruptly stops doing this, the hormonal system will be the first to respond to the change. It can also result from a lack of post-cycle therapy.
- Obesity. This practically does not apply to athletes. During obesity, limopastia is diagnosed, that is, a false form of gynecomastia.
What steroids cause gynecomastia?
Looking ahead, it is worth noting that only a small fraction of steroids can affect the development of gynecomastia, and this is most often observed when the athlete deliberately violates the dosage of the drug and the duration of the course. It increases the risk when after-cycle therapy is not used after steroids.
In some cases, the following anabolic drugs can affect breast enlargement in men:
- Testosterone (propiontate, enanthate and others),
- Oxymetholone and also other drugs in which oxymetholone acts as the main active substance. Gynecomastia can occur as a result of the frequent use of steroids of this type or with malicious violations of the duration of the course.
These drugs are quite powerful anabolic steroids that can quickly achieve the desired result.
Of course, the body may not be ready for such drastic changes, so it starts to react differently.
As practice shows, breast enlargement is most often observed in beginners, who, due to the desire to quickly achieve a particular goal, immediately switch to the use of powerful steroids.
What types of gynecomastia are distinguished?
- Developing gynecomastia. It lasts no more than 4 months, with a reversible character.
- Intermediate gynecomastia. May occur during the year. During this time, chest tissue begins to develop. In this case, you can get rid of gynecomastia with the help of conservative treatment. Most often, gynecomastia is diagnosed on a steroid course.
- Fibrous gynecomastia. In the athlete's chest, connective tissue begins to appear, which can only be removed surgically.
Based on the foregoing, we can safely note the fact that in the first stages of the development of gynecomastia, the process can be reversed without consequences for your body. As soon as the first symptoms of this disease begin to appear, it is necessary to seek help from a specialist.
If gynecomastia occurs while taking steroids, then the specialist will need to provide a list of all the drugs that will allow him to prescribe the most effective treatment that will directly affect the root cause of the disease.
How is steroid gynecomastia treated?
There are some drugs that allow you to forever forget about such an ailment as gynecomastia:
- Testosterone. He is prescribed to those patients who have low testosterone levels. It is mainly used by athletes after 40-50 years.
- Clomiphene. It is an antiestrogen.
- Tamoxifen. It is prescribed for severe forms of gynecomastia.
- Danazole It is a type of synthetic testosterone.
- Bromocriptine. It is effective in the case when gynecomastia began to develop against the background of an increased amount of female hormones and decreased testosterone. In addition, this drug is used as a prophylaxis of the development of the disease. The flip side of the coin is that Bromkriptin reduces the effectiveness of the steroid course, so it is better to take it in the most extreme cases. In addition, the drug can be used as a fat burner, and the effect will be noticeable within a few hours after administration. Athletes actively take the drug between courses, as it allows you to get rid of such a private side effect, like depression.
- Tribestan. The drug is prescribed as an adjunct in the diagnosis of a mild stage of gynecomastia. Used to increase testosterone and lower female sex hormones.
- Tamoxifen. The drug is not able to stop the aromatization process, but on the other hand, it shows good indicators regarding the blocking of female sex hormones. The drug can be used both during the course of steroids, and during post-cycle therapy. It allows you to quickly restore normal hormonal levels in the body of an athlete. It is necessary to use the drug for 10-40 mg of the drug, depending on the characteristics of the course, every day.
- Clomiphene. It is used to stop the further development of gynecomastia. The drug is very popular in the sports community, as it helps the body quickly restore its own testosterone production after a course of steroids.
Gynecomastia Surgical Treatment
At the first manifestations of the disease, you can get rid of it with a conservative method of treatment. That is, the athlete uses certain drugs that can stop the further development of the disease, or completely get rid of it. If the form of gynecomastia is severe, which can occur due to the athlete ignoring the problem, then the easiest way is to agree to the operation.
It happens quite simply: the specialist makes a small incision and removes the accumulated tissue. The second stage of the operation is the removal of fat. Fortunately, all surgical scars quickly resolve, so there will be no trace of the operation. You can start easy exercise in a week and a half.
After a month, you can return to the usual course of classes.
The operation itself takes place without any complications, while 30% of all men who have gynecomastia for various reasons, immediately agree to the operation.
To avoid serious complications after a course of steroids, you need to buy them only from a trusted seller and study the composition well. Also, do not neglect systematic checks by a specialist and passing tests.
Only in this case will it be possible to reduce all the problems from taking steroids to zero.
False gynecomastia - how to distinguish, surgery, rehabilitation
The word gynecomastia of ancient Greek origin literally means “female breasts”. It is clear that this is a pathology, or aesthetic defect, in men.
Male breasts can increase due to the growth of muscle tissue (pump up), and the female type - due to the growth of fat, connective and glandular tissue, and it is the latter option called gynecomastia, which is true and false gynecomastia.
Causes of gynecomastia
To effectively treat this pathology, you first need to figure out why it began to develop. And it can appear in adolescence, and in his declining years. There are three main reasons that trigger the process of breast growth in men:
- Stress leading to hormonal imbalance.
- Obesity against the background of endogenous hormonal failure.
- Hormonal failure as a result of taking steroid drugs.
The first option is often observed in adolescents under 18 years of age, that is, during puberty. At this age, there is a restructuring of the body, and disorders in the hormonal system can easily occur.
If you are obese, you need to understand that the production of estrogens, that is, female hormones, affects the excess adipose tissue. These hormones can also come in large quantities with food if you are addicted to broiler chicken meat. The thicker the person, the more female hormones accumulate in the body, even if it is a male.
And, of course, taking anabolic steroids directly affects hormonal imbalance, including provoking an increase in the production of female hormones to stabilize the body.
Treatment of ailment
In the beginning, it always makes sense to try taking drugs that suppress estrogen production. But you can’t do this on your own until you consult a doctor. You need to understand that jokes with hormonal drugs can end badly. Before you start taking such drugs, you need to undergo a full examination with an endocrinologist and pass a bunch of tests.
A mandatory component of the proper treatment of gynecomastia is a healthy lifestyle, a diet for weight loss and exercise.
But quite often it happens that with absolutely normal weight or even mild anorexia, it still does not work to get rid of body fat.
In this case, you have to go for a radical treatment of false gynecomastia - a surgical operation, which in this case is actually liposuction in the chest area or for women breast reduction.
Most Popular: Mentor - Breast Implants in Endoprosthetics
How is the operation done?
Plastic surgery is performed under general anesthesia. An incision is made in the area of the nipple, through which all glandular (if any) and adipose tissue are removed. It is often necessary to remove part of the stretched skin. In the end, everything is sutured and after a day or two the patient is discharged home from the clinic. Later, you may need another cosmetic surgery to reduce the nipples and areoles if they are too stretched. The cost of a standard operation is about 1,500 dollars.
Features of the postoperative period
The first 2 weeks (until the seams are removed), all physical activity should be avoided. Intensive gym activities are prohibited as well as a bath or sauna. Healing is fully completed within 4 months. It is advisable to wear compression hosiery or bandages. This is especially important in the first weeks, for the prevention of edema.
It happens that a large amount of cerebrospinal fluid accumulates at the site of removed tissues and even drainage is necessary to remove it.
To prevent this from happening, it is important to ensure that the breasts being operated have sufficient compression.
The operation itself does not pose any danger, but after it you will have to carefully monitor your hormonal background, nutrition and lifestyle so that troubles do not return.
- Belly 34%, 6272 votes; 6272 votes 34%
False gynecomastia in men (lipomastia): photo signs and treatment
Breast enlargement due to the growth of adipose tissue can become a big psychological problem for the stronger sex. And although false gynecomastia in men does not pose a threat to their health, male conceit suffers significantly.
In addition, the factors causing false gynecomastia can be harmless. Therefore, with the appearance of breast growth in a man, he needs to be examined by a doctor.
Why do the representatives of the stronger sex have false gynecomastia, what kind of diagnosis and treatment are required - read the article.
Usually in patients with false gynecomastia no signs of deterioration are observed. Anxiety causes only a visible breast enlargement. However, before prescribing treatment, the doctor always determines how the breast is enlarged (glandular tissue or fat has grown) and the degree of its enlargement (photo 4).
Signs of false gynecomastia and its differences from the true are shown in the table.
|Signs||Fat Gynecomastia||True gynecomastia|
|Sprawl||Adipose tissue||Glandular tissue|
|Excess weight||Often||No weight|
|Breast enlargement||there is||there is|
|Nipple enlargement||Not||there is|
|Enhanced pigmentation of the nipple||Not||there is|
|When feeling||The gland is soft, without seals||An elastic seal or assembly may be determined|
|Soreness when feeling||Not||there is|
|Nipple discharge||Not||May be|
False gynecomastia must be distinguished from other benign and malignant diseases of the mammary glands. For this, and also in order to identify a possible serious cause of lipomastia, the following types of laboratory and instrumental studies are carried out:
- Blood test for the content of female and male sex hormones.
- Biochemical study of liver function.
- Chest x-ray.
- Ultrasound of the mammary glands and nearby lymph nodes.
- Ultrasound of the testicles.
- CT adrenal gland.
As prescribed by the doctor, other studies or observations of specialists may be necessary: mammologist, surgeon, urologist, etc.
To confirm the diagnosis, you need to pass a number of tests.
Since lipomastia leads to significant psychological discomfort, many methods for its treatment have been developed.
The main ones are 2 methods with which you can lose weight and reduce the amount of fatty tissue in the chest area:
In a diet, it is very important to follow the recommendation on the excess of daily calorie expenditure over their consumption. For this, calorie counters are used, which are now very much on the network. You can register on any weight loss website that has something similar. The principle of their action is as follows:
- First, according to personal data, the number of kilocalories spent on the main metabolism is calculated (ensuring all life processes at rest at a comfortable temperature). Eating less than this threshold is highly undesirable. Otherwise, the body will reduce the metabolic rate.
- Then, the consumption rate is calculated. To do this, the value of the basal metabolic rate is multiplied by a coefficient corresponding to your physical activity and the speed at which you would like to lose weight.
- Further, in these calculators, it is necessary to note the weight of all products eaten during the day. It is necessary to do this as carefully as possible, since the success of the whole event depends on observing the daily calorie content.
Of course, in order to burn fat, it is best to eat low-fat and low-carb foods. However, the basis of weight loss is precisely the balance of consumption and energy consumption.
Therefore, if you want to eat tasty, but not enough, eat, this is also possible. It is necessary to include a large number of foods rich in protein and vitamins in the diet, as well as consume a sufficient amount of unsalted liquid. Salt is best reduced to a minimum.
In severe forms of obesity, drugs are prescribed that increase metabolism and reduce appetite (Lindax, Sibutramine) or reduce the absorption of fats (Listata, Xenical).
With the ineffectiveness of conservative treatment, surgery is prescribed.
Along with diet and medications for weight loss, physical exercises are also prescribed. They are aimed both at general strengthening of the body, and at strengthening the pectoral muscles: push-ups from the floor, push-ups from the wall, etc.
If the conservative treatment of lipomastia is ineffective, the doctor will recommend surgery. Surgical treatment can be of several types:
- Liposuction (laser and conventional).
- Metapexy with liposuction.
Metapexy refers to a skin tightening on the chest, which may be required after removing a large amount of fat. Often metapexy is prescribed if surgical treatment is required for adolescents, since the connective tissue jumpers tightly fix the fat and do not allow it to be removed only with the help of liposuction.
Liposuction allows you to effectively remove soft fat deposits during lipomastia. The suction of fat can be carried out by vacuum simply through the cannula or can be carried out even after the destruction of adipose tissue by a laser.
Laser techniques are preferable because they give an excellent cosmetic effect and do not require a long rehabilitation period. However, they can be used only for mild forms of lipomastia, because
The laser does not destroy coarse connective tissue septa.
Thus, the presence of false gynecomastia in men can cause them significant concern. In most cases, lipomastia is provoked by being overweight, and its treatment is directly related to the normalization of body weight and metabolism.
But along with this, breast enlargement in men can be caused by serious diseases that must be treated first.
Therefore, before determining the method of treatment, the doctor without fail carries out a wide diagnosis of the condition of the whole body of a man.
False gynecomastia: symptoms and treatment in men
A pathology in which breasts in men and adolescents increase due to an increase in the amount of adipose tissue is called false gynecomastia. The disease does not depend on excess weight, it occurs both in obese people and in non-obese people. About how to distinguish false gynecomastia from true, and about treatment methods, see the article.
What is gynecomastia and how does it manifest
The pathology of the mammary glands with unilateral or bilateral increase in size caused by hypertrophy of glandular or adipose tissues in medicine is called gynecomastia.
Gynecomastia in men is manifested by an increase, densification of the gland, accompanied by a feeling of heaviness and pain during palpation.
Regresses on its own, with the ineffectiveness of drug therapy requires surgical treatment.
With the long-term existence of the disease, there is a risk of developing a malignant tumor of the mammary glands in a man. The mammary glands with gynecomastia reach from two to ten centimeters in diameter. The frequency of occurrence is: in adolescents 14-15 years old - from 50 to 60%, in young men - about 50%, in older men - from 60% to 70%.
The disease causes not only physical inconvenience, but also difficulties against a psychological background.
Causes of the appearance and development of gynecomastia in men
Male mammary glands - an underdeveloped vestigial organ, consisting of a minimum amount of glandular and adipose tissue of the nipple and short duct. The development and functioning of the glands depends on the influence of the female sex hormone - estrogen and pituitary hormones - prolactin.
The norm of the amount of estrogen in the body of a man is 0.001% of the androgen content. For various reasons, the percentage of androgens-estrogens varies, increasing the quantitative composition of the latter, and the process of reducing tissue sensitivity to the effects of testosterone also occurs.
The influence of estrogens provokes the growth of the man’s mammary glands, their development according to the female type and the intensive development of glandular tissues, the development of pituitary adenoma producing prolactin, the deposition of fatty tissues in the glands and the development of connective tissues.
With the disease, the mammary glands become denser and enlarge.
True pathological gynecomastia is caused by the following reasons:
- Violation of the ratio of estrogen-testosterone in the male body. The condition is observed with a hormone-active tumor of the pituitary gland, stomach, testes, lungs, adrenal glands, pancreas, inflammatory process in the testes, prostate adenoma, etc.
- Toxic diseases - cirrhosis of the liver, cardiovascular or renal failure, injuries in the chest area, HIV infection, herpetic lesion of the chest, normalization of nutrition, and others,
- Hyperprolactinemia - increased secretion of prolactin, observed with pituitary tumors and hypothyroidism,
- Diseases accompanied by a malfunction of metabolic functions - diffuse toxic goiter, diabetes mellitus, obesity, pulmonary tuberculosis and others,
- Acceptance of funds that affect breast tissue receptors, increase the reproductive capacity of estrogens, prolactin, etc.
The disease also appears due to genetic and hereditary factors.
Gynecomastia of the newborn period is noted by slight engorgement and enlargement of the glands, sometimes with colostrum-like excretion. With other types of disease, the glands increase from two to ten centimeters in diameter, and their mass reaches 150 grams.
The size of the nipple increases, the areola is sharply pigmented and expands to three centimeters in diameter. In special cases, discharge of a milky appearance from the nipple begins.
Usually, the enlargement of the glands is painless, but is accompanied by increased nipple sensitivity and discomfort.
Unilateral gynecomastia is accompanied by an increase in the likelihood of a tumor of the gland. A hormone-active tumor producing estrogen and gonadotropin causes a transient increase in the mammary gland, pain and a feeling of fullness.
Gynecomastia caused by hyperprolactinemia is usually accompanied by impotence and damage to the central nervous system in men.
The disease proceeds in three stages:
- Developing (proliferating) - the initial change in the first four months, when there is the possibility of a reverse development of the disease with proper drug therapy,
- Intermediate - runs from four months to a year and is due to the maturation of glandular tissues,
- Fibrous - characterized by the appearance in the mammary gland of connective and fatty tissues. Regression of the process is not possible.
With the appearance of bloody discharge from the nipple, seals in the mammary gland, changes in the skin of the gland, an increase in lymph nodes in the armpits, one should be wary, as these symptoms indicate a suspicion of breast cancer.
Gynecomastia caused by hyperprolatinemia affects the central nervous system of men, provokes oligospermia and impotence. Potency impairment is observed only with an increased level of estrogen and a reduced amount of testosterone.
With an increased level of estrogen in men, the timbre of the voice changes, which becomes high, there is excessive tearfulness and irritability, and the hairline on the body and face disappears.
The pathological appearance is characterized by a change in shape, swelling and swelling of the testicles.
What is dangerous gynecomastia for men
The physiological type of pathology is not dangerous and can independently regress. Teenagers or men are embarrassed by the appearance of their breasts and experience complexes, but understanding the cause of this condition or working with a psychologist, gradually smooth out unpleasant anxieties and feelings.
A long-progressing pathological stage not only accompanies the underlying disease, but also causes breast cancer. This oncology is rarely observed in men, but it proceeds with serious consequences, such as a malignant breast tumor in a woman.
Such signs as: bloody discharge from the nipple, dense formations, expressions, changes in the skin, enlarged lymph nodes, should signal a man to immediately see a surgeon or oncologist.
Diagnosis of the disease
At the first signs, it is necessary to consult an endocrinologist who will conduct an examination with palpation of the mammary glands and testicles, correctly assess the degree of manifestation of the secondary sexual sign, and reveal a family or drug history. During the examination, it turns out whether the patient has a drug or alcohol addiction, the presence of other diseases and the health status of the man as a whole.
An experienced specialist will conduct the following study:
- Blood test - reveals disturbances in the hormonal balance,
- X-ray - lungs to rule out the presence of a tumor,
- Brain imaging,
- Tomography of the adrenal glands and other necessary organs,
- Ultrasound examination of the scrotum - to determine the tumor in the testicles,
- Ultrasound of the mammary glands and lymph nodes - to detect a tumor in the chest area and to determine the type of disease,
- Tumor puncture,
- Cytological examination to exclude suspected cancer of the gland.
Also, the liver, which plays an important role in the process, is not deprived of attention.
Alternative methods in the fight against gynecomastia
Folk remedies for treatment are very effective if applied correctly:
- Soothing herbs - with significant thyroid disorders (valerian, peony, motherwort),
- Trepang extract,
- Bee bread extract
- Golden root, plantain - take the infusion twice a day,
- Raspberry leaves, hibiscus, hops, sage - take decoctions in the morning and evening before eating.
- Ginseng - is a natural stimulant, it is recommended to eat a small piece of ginseng root daily, chewing it thoroughly and mixing with saliva. The product is not very pleasant in taste, but quite effective, also stimulating sexual potency,
- Tincture to regulate hormonal levels and increase potency - mix 50 grams of oat straw, biloba leaves and yohimbe bark with 1 liter of alcohol. Gather insist 2 weeks in a darkened place, then strain and store in a cool place. Take 2 months, 30 drops three to four times a day.
- Lovage - regulates hormonal imbalance, improves digestion and strengthens the male body. The plant root contains phytosterol, which normalizes the functioning of the prostate. Pour 100 grams of crushed lovage root, a bottle of wine, preferably red, heat until foam and insist for three days. Strain and take 50 ml daily in the evening one hour after eating.
- Herbal collection - from gynecomastia, infertility and weak libido. Combine 100 grams of ginseng root, 50 grams of licorice root, 50 grams of raspberry leaves. One Art. pour a spoonful of the mixture with 500 ml of boiling water, cool, strain. To drink during the day. Take a collection of two to three months.
These herbs stabilize the hormonal background and reduce the quantitative composition of female hormones.
Any independent steps should be taken only under the supervision of a specialist. Otherwise, there is a risk of not only harming the body, but also exacerbating the situation even more, which will lead to the most serious consequences.
Proper nutrition for gynecomastia
The main reason for the appearance of pathology is obesity, alcohol, malnutrition. In order to prevent and get rid of the disease, it is necessary to regulate the diet and diet, as well as change habits. Nutrition for men should include:
- The complex of vitamins and minerals,
- Fish oil and omega 3.6,
- Dried fruits, sea fish, nuts and yoghurts,
- Vegetables, fruits, cereals.
It is recommended to reduce the intake of fats and fast carbohydrates, as well as to exclude sweets and confectionery.
The physiological course of gynecomastia mainly disappears on its own. In 80% of adolescents, hormonal levels are restored within two to three years.
A favorable prognosis is characteristic of a disease caused by taking medications. Less favorable - for the type of gynecomastia caused by other progressive diseases. The prognosis of a positive result of the treatment of pathology depends on the severity of the underlying disease, which provoked a hormonal imbalance.
Surgical methods for complex stages of gynecomastia basically completely restore the normal size and shape of the breast.
Unpleasant pathology is caused by physiological and pathological causes. In addition to unpleasant sensations of a physiological nature, men experience significant emotional depression. In order to avoid disturbances during physiological pathology and pathological gynecomastia, it is necessary to consult a specialist for examination and further treatment at the first symptoms.
At what age can false gynecomastia appear
Men with different age categories may encounter this pathology:
- Teenage years. Hormonal fluctuations in the puberty contribute to weight gain in adolescent boys, so mixed gynecomastia can form. At the end of puberty, the hormonal background normalizes, but excess weight and fat in the chest area can persist for a long time.
Gynecomastia in adolescence
- Young and mature age. Men aged 20 to 45 years often experience false gynecomastia, especially in the presence of excessive pounds.
Gynecomastia in adulthood
- Old and senile age. Hormonal changes and a decrease in motor activity in elderly men and the elderly can provoke the development of false gynecomastia (especially its mixed form).
Symptoms of lipomastia
Pathology is characterized by an asymptomatic onset and course. With a strong enlargement of the glands, the patient may feel a feeling of fullness and pressure in the chest area, while the general well-being and condition of the man usually does not change for the worse.
The size of pathologically altered mammary mammary glands will depend on the amount of overweight and associated diseases. Usually the disease is bilateral in nature, much less often doctors are faced with unilateral fatty gynecomastia.
The consequences of false gynecomastia
The growth of subcutaneous fat in the chest of a man does not affect his well-being and general condition, but the presence of extra pounds over time can cause malfunctioning of most organs and systems of the body.
The main negative consequence of lipomastia is aesthetic and psychological discomfort, which prevents patients from living in the usual rhythm. Many men with this disease face an inferiority complex, refuse to make new acquaintances, avoid intimate relationships and visits to public places (bath, sauna, pool, beach).
In adolescents and youths, the situation of dissatisfaction with the appearance goes to extremes; they are faced with ridicule by peer guys and girls, which is why they are in constant stress. Over time, this can lead to depressive episodes and even suicide.
Signs of fatty gynecomastia
With false gynecomastia, the glandular tissue of the male breast does not change, only subcutaneous fat is overgrown. In many cases, a defect is associated with being overweight. As a result, there is an increase in the mammary gland (while maintaining the shape and size, pigmentation of the nipple).
During palpation (palpation), no consolidations are detected in the gland, it is quite soft, and the patient does not feel any discomfort or pain. No discharge from the nipple.
Signs of true gynecomastia
With the true form of the disease, an increase in the patient’s glandular tissue is observed, and in most cases the problem does not depend on the body weight of the man. The glands increase in size, the nipple becomes large and more pigmented.
On palpation, the doctor may feel the nodule or lump in the patient’s chest, while the patient experiences pain. In many cases, discharge from the nipple is observed.
Differential diagnosis with other neoplasms
False gynecomastia in men must be distinguished with other benign or malignant breast formations. To differentiate and clarify some of the causes of lipomastia, the following options for instrumental and laboratory studies can be prescribed:
- blood test for testosterone and estrogen,
- study of kidney function (biochemistry),
- chest x-ray,
- ultrasound (ultrasound) of the mammary glands and adjacent lymph nodes,
- testicular ultrasound,
- computed tomography of the adrenal glands.
If necessary, the doctor can refer the patient to other studies, consultation and examination with highly specialized doctors (urologist, surgeon, mammologist).
Conservative treatment of false gynecomastia
To get rid of the aesthetic problem and psychological discomfort during fatty gynecomastia, it is necessary first of all to review the diet and establish physical activity. This will help normalize body weight and reduce the amount of adipose tissue.
Dietary nutrition is based on the principle of creating a negative energy balance (when calorie expenditure exceeds their human consumption). To do this, you can use the daily calorie counter (download the application to your phone or find a convenient calorie counter for you via the Internet).
To use the counter, you must enter personal data (weight, height, age, gender). This will help to calculate the number of calories needed for basic metabolism (providing vital processes of the body at normal temperature). Underestimation of calorie is fraught with a decrease in metabolic processes, overstatement - with further weight gain.
Next, you need to calculate the calorie intake rate by multiplying the basal metabolic rate by a coefficient that corresponds to the patient’s physical activity and weight loss rate. After this, it is necessary to fix the weight of all the food eaten per day in a special calculator. The result depends on the correctness of calculations and compliance with calorie.
Proteins, complex carbohydrates, fiber, vegetable fats should predominate in the diet of a patient with lipomastia. It is necessary to eat vegetables with each meal, add fresh herbs, seeds of plants. It is also important to spend more calories than is consumed with food.
Doctors also recommend consuming a large amount of clean drinking water, taking vitamin and mineral complexes. Salt, sugary foods and drinks should be avoided.
Proper nutrition will achieve the best effect in combination with feasible sports loads for the muscles of the chest, for example, push-ups from the floor (or from the wall).
In case of severe obesity the patient may be prescribed drugs to enhance metabolic processes and reduce appetite (Sibutramine, Lindax), enhance fat absorption (Xenical).
If the improvement in lifestyle does not give a pronounced result, the doctor and patient discuss the feasibility and possibility of surgery.
Surgical treatment of false gynecomastia
The intervention of the surgeon is recommended only with the ineffectiveness of the main therapy and the severity of the defect. For prompt correction of false gynecomastia, methods such as liposuction (classical or laser) and mastopexy (with liposuction) are used. The choice of the most suitable option for the operation is determined by the doctor individually.
Liposuction allows you to get rid of fat deposits of the mammary glands of men and involves the suction of excess fat. The operation is performed under vacuum using a special cannula or using laser equipment. The latter option is more modern and less traumatic, does not require a long recovery. But its use will be effective only with mild fatty gynecomastia.
Mastopexy is a surgical tightening of the skin of the breast, which allows you to eliminate excess skin remaining after removal of excess subcutaneous fat. Mastopexy is often used to treat teenage lipomastia, since the ligaments of the connective tissue are too stiff and fix the adipose tissue, which is why liposuction alone is not enough.
Prognosis for false gynecomastia
Mild forms of pathology have a favorable prognosis, especially if the patient is balanced, regularly devotes time to physical activity, controls the quality and time of sleep, and takes care of his own health.
Severe forms of lipomastia require surgical intervention, and after correction it is necessary to adhere to a healthy lifestyle, otherwise a relapse of the disease is possible.
There are few reviews on the treatment of gynecomastia - men are often embarrassed to talk about this problem. In separate reviews, people say that diet and sports often did not help them get rid of the "chest" - sometimes the whole body was pumped up, with abs cubes, but the chest did not go anywhere. Some people say that nutrition and exercise helped, but there are few such reviews.
Men mostly respond positively to operations. Yes, the procedure is associated with pain and inconvenience, but the result after it is worth all the “suffering”. The procedure itself takes place under anesthesia quite easily, but the recovery after it is tiring - many write that their spouse really helped them and they themselves could not cope. It is especially inconvenient to wear a special vest.
Surgeons were allowed to return to sports after 3-4 months, and in general, life after complete rehabilitation remains the same as before the operation, except without the hated "female breast".